SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
islanddevil

new double panes fogging outside.

islanddevil
13 years ago

Just got new double pane replacement windows from Home Depot. It rained lightly last night and this morning 3 of them were fogged and were still that way when I left for work almost 2 hours later. One fogged completely, a perfect rectangle of fog surrounded by about 2" of unfogged window all around the perimiter.Weird. 2 others fogged along the bottom with that same 2" of unfogged area.

We had 12 windows redone and I should clarify we have sliding windows and it's only the non-sliding side of the 3 that fogged. The sliding sides with the screens are not fogged. All are in the same room and so far these are the only ones replaced on that side of the house which is typically the side that the rain falls towards the windows, but rain is usually light as it was last night.

I think they're fogged on the outside rather than between, but the 25 year old double panes I had before this never fogged. I live in San Diego so it's not like it's freezing outside and very warm inside and besides, I wouldn't think that should happen anyway with energy rated double panes?? Maybe by the time I get home from work they will unfog, but still don't think that's normal and how annoying to not be able to see clearly out new windows!

So before I call Home depot can someone please advise me if it is normal or not and why they're doing this?

Thank you!

Comments (30)