SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
douglaspark

rain and wood windows

douglaspark
16 years ago

We're renovating a craftsman house from the 20s and putting in all wood double-hung windows. And we're trying to decide between custom windows and places like Marvin and Loewens. I'd like to go with the least expensive quote but I have some questions and concerns. It rains all the time up here in the Pacific NW and I'm concerned about how that will affect the windows.

The custom window guy pooh-poohed pine windows and said fir was the only way to go. (I think he used the word "warp" in relation to pine.) His windows are also TDL. But I like the fact that the big wood window companies have all sorts of data about how their windows perform. And I particularly like the vintage look of some of the Marvin windows.

Question: Does fir hold up better than pine in the rain or it just a matter of how you design the window (weatherproofing, paint, etc.)? Could a well-designed pine window outperform a custom fir window in the rain? What are your preferences for rain-proof wood windows? How can I evaluate how a custom window will perform in the rain?

Thanks in advance for your comments!

Comments (6)