SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lpinkmountain

Furnishings and accessories for lodger

14 years ago

I'm preparing my two guest bedrooms to be rented, (to one person). I'm going to grad. school an hour away come fall plus my jobs so I won't be home that much anyway, so I'm hoping to rent the rooms to help pay the mortgage. The reason I'm renting both rooms is for my privacy and the lodger's privacy. I don't mind sharing my space when I'm gone, but I'm sure there will be a lot of times when both they and I want our own spaces to ourselves! The features I am outfitting the bedrooms for are sleeping, lounging, fixing light meals and snacks (no stove or sink stuff), studying and using various media. I may find a college student as I live near two college students, but maybe not, could be a temp faculty or just someone in transition with jobs, etc. Maybe someone going to grad school like me! Anyway, here are some issues I'm pondering and I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with this or ideas to share.

I'm debating on whether to keep my double bed to use in the lodgers rooms. I can much better utilize space if I take the bed out. I know a lot of older people much prefer to sleep in a double bed (I finally got one at age 33), lol! And was very happy for it and would have a hard time going back. But younger, more transient people are used to a single bed so might not even miss it. I also have a single bed which I could transfor into a daybed because I have the bolster pillows. I've kind of nixed the futon idea, but I saw one of these combo single bed above/futon below bunks for sale on Craigslist and I was wondering about that. I've seen them and the PO's of my house had them in one of the kids rooms. I would be loathe to climb up into bed every night, but college kids do it all the time. I've always hated the top bunk even as a kid, I just have too much claustrophobia for it but it's just me. But am I ruling out an older person renting if I put in that type of a bunk system? That system would maximize space utility though, and provide sleeping and lounging and a place for an overnight guest to sleep for the lodger. I could get a somewhat similar effect with a pull out bed under the daybed I guess. What to do?

Second, how important do you think it would be to have cable in the room? I have a cable Internet connection which I have a wireless connection for with my own computer, and I'm allowed to have two computers on it, so I could provide wireless right now without additional expense. I have cables all over my house, but not in those two rooms, so would have to run cables. Plus I would have to PAY for cable, which I find to be nothing but commericals and carp so I don't have it. But without it, the lodger would have to do what I do, play DVDs or use the computer. But then we'd both be using the cable connection. And I know young people do love their TV! But I don't want the extra expense so I'm wondering how big of a selling point it would or would not be? Right now I just have antennae TV which gets two local shopping/religous stations and PBS.

What other things should I be thinking about for these rooms? I'm planning on buying a mini fridge, I have a small micro I bought for work years ago and don't use, I have a toaster, I'm looking to buy a desk, and I have a lot of occasional chairs if I need them, which I think I will not due to their being limited space. I even have a small plastic dish set that I never use for picnics so I could give them that to use.

Any other ideas or experiences?

Comments (7)