SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pflies

Single pane alum frame windows need to go.

PFlies
10 years ago

This might be a long post! I am going to replace these old windows. I will give as much information as I can but please ask me to fill in blanks that I forget or don't know about. House is brick and was built in the 50's iirc. Located a few miles north of Detroit, Michigan.
I was thinking I would like new fiberglass installed. Don't really want to worry about clad wood unless my thought of cladding failing/leaking and wood eventually rotting.
I was thinking of Marvin windows or possibly Majic windows. Not seen anything on here about the latter. I recall something about some made by Okna (I think) that were not vinyl. Perhaps someone else could refresh my memory there.
I measured the frames on the inside (the temps today are not pleasant) and I will include these in this post. Perhaps they might assist in answering questions I have? The current windows of which there are 9 total are all sliding single pane alum.
The measurements are(from the inside):
79 1/2"W x 44 1/4"H Living room
49 1/4"W x 37 1/4"H Living room/Dining
65 1/2"W x 25 1/4"H x2 Bedroom
41 1/4"W x 37 1/4"H Kitchen
41 1/4"W x 25 1/4"H x4 Bathroom (1) Bedroom (3)
With the size windows we have what type would be best as far as efficiency or cost? I like casement but the wife doesn't like her mothers Pella casement windows.( Doesn't like the crank I think)
Would yanking the whole frame out and going new construction be better?
Is it possible to give any kind of ballpark cost for windows and installation for the brands mentioned above? I know this is somewhat varied by options available but I appreciate any info if possible. Time for some Z's now.
I have included a picture of one of the 41 1/4"W X 25 1/4"H bedroom windows for reference if it helps in any way.

Comments (9)