SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kmcgowan35

Please help with pantry cabinet organization -- pics

chicagoans
13 years ago

My center pantry cabinet is woefully unorganized. (Picture on left. Hanging head in shame.) I asked the cabinet maker about ROTS but he said I'd lose a few inches of width, which I don't want. I'd like to use racks on the door for things like boxes of foil, boxes of pasta, containers of nuts or dried fruit, and even jars of sauce if they aren't too heavy. Door with measurements - picture on the right.

{{!gwi}} {{!gwi}}

I hoped the cabinet guy would custom-make something, but he referred me to Rev-A-Shelf. I have these in some other cabinets and they're great for spices but too small, and I can't find anything that will work at Rev-A-Shelf.

{{!gwi}}
I found this which is OK for foil, but nothing else.

{{!gwi}}

So now I'm thinking of ordering a steel pegboard. I can get a custom size (I was thinking 19" w x 30" h) in red (I like red) with a reinforced backing board for less than $60. (Back flanges make it more rigid and make the edges finished.)

{{!gwi}}

I would attach it with wood screws into the supports on the back of the cabinet door. (First I have to verify spacing of the holes on the pegboard to make sure they'll line up with the supports.) Then I could hang baskets or small boxes on the pegboard to hold things. It's harder than I thought to find baskets the right size, but I think I found one that would work, and will keep looking.

So... is this crazy or a good idea? Will the 4 hinges on the door be enough support?

Any good sources for wide but shallow baskets or boxes? Any other ideas for utilizing space on the door?

TIA!

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County