SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
callmerae

need some healthy advice

callmerae
17 years ago

My husband and I got married in aug. 2005. We have been together since 2001. I have 3 sons and he has 2 daughters. His ex had custody of the girls but the grandparents raised them..not her (long story)...my 3 sons live with me until last year my eldest moved out to live with his dad (parental alienation..yet another long story). My husbands daughters were apprehended by social services due to their mom's drug and alcohol..something we suspected for years but could never prove. They placed the girls with the grandparents for 3 months..saying they couldn't with us cause that would be chosing custody..however in sept. (one month after we got married) we went to social services committed and told them we wanted the girls to be with us..not another 3 month extension with grandpa and grandma..and we got it..so we went from seeing his girls every other weekend and wed. evening to having them since sept. 2005. We made up my eldest son's room for them (they always shared...ages 9 and 12) and were a happy family...but here is my problem...my husband has made the girls his top priority...if one of his girls don't do a chore and I say she hasn't..she says she has...he takes her side, if she asks for something to be done..it is done pronto, I am ignored...we don't go on "dates" anymore cause he doesn't want to leave the girls...yet all these years we did these "dates" and I had children. he has a second business on the side and if his girls are with their grandparents or his ex that is when he will book jobs..I told him it gives me the message that we aren't important..they are but he says he doesn't care...his girls are his no. one priority..not our marriage...My feeling is OUR marriage is for our children and ourselves....it feels like its a yours and mine family rather than ours...if I point out a problem or concern he says I am petty and jealous however I love and discipline the girls the same as I do my own. I have no problem with his discipline of my boys (though for the most part I do that)...is this the way stepfamilies truly are...a constant division? constant defensiveness? and I have a hard time with OUR marriage not being the top priority...advice?

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!