SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
remodel2013_gw

Buying New Furniture, But trying To Get That Old, Collected Look

11 years ago

Hi guys. My wife and I are in the process of a big remodel and are at the point of picking new bedroom furniture. We've decided that we're going traditional and have been looking at some high-end, quality furniture makers (i.e. Stickley and Kittinger)

We aren't crazy about the "match-matchy" bedroom set look, so we're trying to different pull pieces together that work. We love the look from the federal/colonial even neoclassical period; the way furniture collections are put together over hundreds of years but always seem to work when placed in a room together. We love the look of a room packed with furniture - sofas, chairs, occasional tables, desks, occasional chairs, etc. We love the look of a lot of the rooms in the White House...

So here's the problem. We'd like new furniture and are wondering how were vary our wood choices and stains so that we get the look of a collection that's been assembled over the years, not bought new all at once. We could finish all the wood in one stain, dark, but what would be the point, right?

If anyone has experience with this, we'd really appreciate the help, guidance or feedback. Also if anyone's had experience with this type of look, we'd really like to know how you put pieces of different style (serpentine shaped, clawfloot etc.) together, along with different wood-types, mahogany, walnut, cherry, etc...

Thanks!

Comments (29)