SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
imamommy

is SD really ADHD?

imamommy
13 years ago

So, we had SD tested for a learning disability earlier this year because she is consistently having problems getting work done, doing it right, turning it in, etc. They said she does not have a learning disability, she is above average (I take that to mean she is capable of understanding), and during the parent meeting, we were asked if she had ever been tested for ADHD?

So, I made an appointment to have her evaluated. She was diagnosed yesterday and to be honest, I think the process was too simplistic. We (DH & I) attended (BM was a no show) the parent seminar to discuss what ADD & ADHD are. We were given a packet that included evaluation forms for her teachers to complete... and one for us. Based on the answers we all gave, we all pretty much agree that:

1. She has a problem 'forgetting'. She forgets to turn in work she has done. She forgets what the teacher talked about in class. (because she gets out of her seat & is talking to other students, getting a drink, or busy doing something else) so she misses the instructions, she forgets pretty much whatever she doesn't want to do... but she remembers what she wants, like the lines in the play or words to songs; to wear certain clothes on fun days; etc. She has an excellent memory for events and where she left certain things... like a picture she stuffed in a drawer. But if you ask her where her math page (that is supposed to be in her folder) is, she says "I forgot"... and she might have taken it out and stuffed it in her desk drawer. I don't know much about ADHD, but to me it's selective forgetting... I don't want to do math, I will hide it and say I forgot. But, the therapist says that with ADHD... this is what ADHD kids do.

2. She rushes through some things.... she goes to take her shower & 5 minutes later, she is out & dressed. That doesn't even seem to be long enough to change clothes, let alone turn on the water. She devours her food & has terrible table manners ~ takes enormous mouthfuls, chews with her mouth open, braces herself and hovers over her plate like she is in a pie eating contest. and she writes so sloppy it looks like a 1st or 2nd grader wrote it.. bad spelling & terrible penmanship because she is hurrying. But, when she wants to write a note to her friend or draw a picture for fun, she takes her time & does it very neatly. Again, the therapist says that it's typical because she will take the time with activities she has FUN with, not the ones she considers WORK.

To me, if that is what ADHD is... I might have a problem being supportive because it sounds to me like an excuse. Of course lots of people don't like WORK... that's why it's called work & not play. But, if they can do what they are supposed to when it's for fun or things they WANT to do... how can that be a mental disorder? I don't get it so maybe some of you that have ADHD kids or experience can enlighten me. If a kid has involuntary impulses and does things they can't control, I understand that... what I don't get is how they can control it when they want to and call it a disorder because they don't want to sit in their chair or do their work. She has no problem sitting still to watch a movie or play a game... just listening to the teacher. (and it's a whole other issue, but I don't get how teachers can let kids roam around in class when they are 'teaching'. I was always told to sit in my desk, don't get up during class & that was the rule.... don't get it~ her 4th & 5th grade teachers have both complained that she is out of her seat during class... my thought? Why aren't you controlling your classroom? But that is another topic for another day)

Anyway, they are going to talk to her PCP to get her on medication to see if that helps. I want to be supportive but I thought there was more to diagnosing than filling out a couple of questionnaires....

Comments (22)

Sponsored
Columbus' Home Design Experts Specializing in Custom Cabinets