SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ceph_gw

ADHD and different houses

ceph
16 years ago

Mom_of_4, you mentioned that at least one of your SKs has ADHD - I can't find a "who I am" post for you on that "Click here" thread, so can't recall how old that child is and if it's a boy or girl...

Other posters have from time to time mentioned ADHD or other similar problems with their kids.

How do those of you with kids or stepkids who aren't with you all the time and have behavioral disorders try to manage?

My BF's 8yo son has pretty severe ADHD. If you go through the diagnostic criteria, it says that two-thirds of the criteria must "have been present for at least 6 months to a point that is disruptive and inappropriate for developmental level" - A__ has ALL of them and ALL to the point that they cause problems for him at school, at home, making friends, learning, doing activities, etc, and they've been causing problems since he was in preschool. So he's an absolute textbook case of ADHD.

He's spent a little time in the resource room at school (I think he could use more, but that realm of his life is totally not up to me and I can accept that) and he takes Ritalin for school and social events where he has to behave himself (I think he'd be better off with a lower dosage all the time than a higher dosage only sometimes, but again, not up to me and that's OK)...

I have a high energy nephew, who is also 8, but doesn't have ADHD. So I'm pretty familiar with what is a part of being a squirrelly little boy and what is part of ADHD.

And I have a degree in biochemistry, so I'm all over the science behind what causes ADHD behaviors.

I've looked around on ADHD sites and boards, but sites all assume you have the child with you 100% of the time... So, since we have A__ only about two days a week and he spends time at three other houses, they can only be so helpful.

I need some ideas from other people who deal with behavioral disorders from kids they don't have all the time.

We (my BF and I) have really been working on some strategies for helping A__ make better choices and behave better when he's with us.

This started a few months ago when my BF was incredibly frustrated after a TERRIBLE weekend with A__ and hit the point that he didn't want to see A__ the next weekend. I suggested that we try to target some of the ADHD troubles that cause A__ to act how he does to try to make some changes. Basically, I got the ball rolling on a change in parenting and discipline strategy.

I can give some specific examples if this thread gets rolling, but some of these include

- planning ahead so he knows what's coming next

- really emphasizing good things verbally (to try to promote the self-reward that should be occurring but isn't)

- requesting the good behavior rather than just saying not to do the bad behavior (he doesn't usually know what the better choice is)

- having him repeat instructions back to us to show he's listening

- removing physical distractions (like bookmarks or blankets) when he's reading or doing homework, but allowing audio stimulation (like music) because it actually HELPS him focus, not distracts him

We're seeing a distinct difference, but we know this is only a fraction as successful as it would be if A__ didn't have four homes. And we need new ideas to try from people who actually know the extra challenges of shared custody!

If it was just two homes, maybe things could be talked about with BM to form a united strategy, but in our situation, that's pretty much out of the question.

How do those of you with kids or stepkids who aren't with you all the time and have behavioral disorders (not limited to ADHD) try to manage?

I'm looking for ideas for the parenting and discipline strategies we can use with him and for things we can do on our end to overcome the lack of little consistency.

Comments (58)

Sponsored
Full-Service General Contractor Servicing Mecklenburg County, VA