SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
loribee2

Slurry is my new best friend

loribee2
13 years ago

I've called him Mr. Sea. It's sort of a play on Mr. Cunningham for those old enough to remember the old Happy Days sitcom. All the kids called him Mr. C. Or at least, Fonzie did.

But anyway, Mr. Sea's cracks have been repaired, and he's now floating up out of a "pond" that will be tiled to look like water. Though the base added weight (I'm guessing he's about 50 lbs now) I am happy with it. He's much more solid now.

I also discovered slurry! Oh, I love it! This mortar has been sandy. I keep brushing sand off this guy. The slurry is like sealing him with a nice smooth coat of paint. In this instance, I used a slurry to bind the second coat of mortar to the first, but I think even when I don't have a repair job to do, I may slurry my pieces anyway. The finish ends up so much cleaner, and I have to believe it helps add strength.

Anyway, Mr. Sea will get a good rest for a couple weeks (and so will you! LOL). I'm still waiting for some additional tile samples to come in, then I'll need to place an order, so he'll sit under plastic and cure good before I get to the next step. In the meantime, I think I'm going to try fashioning some sunflowers on rebar stems!

{{gwi:288732}}

Comments (7)

Sponsored