SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
seaglassic

43 year old mystery is finally solved!!!

seaglassic
17 years ago

this is just too weird....

from garden junk, to mosaics, to stained glass, to broken china jewelry...

yesterday I was at a gs...and saw 3 saucers on the ground, in front of a water soaked cardboard box, full of dishes..

I thought..hey, those are pretty!

I was thinking of the 4/1$ I get at my favorite 2nd hand store....

so, I'm thinking..maybe they will accept between 3 and 4$ for the bunch.

the sun was shining on the dishes and I didn't have my reading glasses on, so didn't see details but knew I liked them.

I asked him how much...

$15...well, how about a phone # and if at the end of the day, I call back and see if they're still available

then I decided to go ahead and spring for $10..no more.

he had wanted $20 the day before and had come down to $15 on Sunday..

so, rather than leave, I get a $10 bill out and go over and offer him $7.50, knowing full well he won't accept it, but rather than offer $10 and him wanting the difference between $10 and $15..being $12.50..he hesitates and says..naw...but I'll take $10 for them....BINGO!!!

so, I give him the $10 and carefully pickup the rainsoaked and flimsy box, full of these really pretty dishes.

it wasn't till I got into the car with them and got to looking at them....the sun was shining and I didn't even realize they had such delicate little pink roses on them..and I didn't notice how fine a china they were and I didn't notice they were gold rimmed, with the scalloped edges..and I didn't bother to read the back to see they were Crown Bavarian china from Germany....

I just knew I wanted them for the possibility of broken china necklaces.

doing a google search, I found that they are the Juliette series and I have 20 pieces..dessert dishes and salad/soup bowls...

that in itself is just fantastic but the part that really is the kicker, is in the process of doing the ebay/google search for the kind of dishes I actually had, I managed to find the dishes that my aunt had..back in the early 60's that she sold at a garage sale, in preparation to go live at a retirement home.

I loved those dishes so much and wished that I could have them but that was neve to be..and I have wondered for literally YEARS, what the name of them was...

I was only 16 and got to stay out of school for a week, to help her organize her things, so no one felt it was necessary for me to have dishes like that..I was just a KID...(yeah, the math tells that I'm 59)lol

not until today, did it occur to me to search for what my memory kept stored about the beautiful pattern of the flowers, completely covering those fabulous dishes...

it turns out they were a set of chintz, dating from pre 60's...I had the name in front of me, but now I need to go back and see which actual name it is..too many got in my view and I lost the actual replacement name but no matter..I can find it again, on either amazon, ebay or google...

such a long time and so unexpected....

and again...this is a direct link from all of the work done here...

I may seek to find that set of dishes..not to break but just for sentimental reasons....

then again...it's a very lot of pattern on the dishes..lol

a huge thankyou to all of you....AGAIN.....lol

will wonders never cease???

no, not as long as one spends time on this forum...lol

Becky .(*_*).

Comments (5)

Sponsored