SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dcubana

Who's being unreasonable?

dcubana
16 years ago

Lately my children have expressed that they resent having to "share me".They've become more argumentative, and bossy towards the other kids.

This is where things start to get tricky, since we continually bump heads when we discuss this subject. I mean" bump heads" not because he won't listen, but because we differ in the way we look at this and cant seem to ever stop debating our sides. He thinks my children are just being selfish, and we are all a family now so they "need to" accept that they have to share me now. Although I agree to some extent, I can't help but feel guilty that his children do take up "most of my time" and require a lot more discipline and redirection than mine do. They also lacked a lot of affection and love from their bio-mom, so they are extremely affectionate and display their love for me frequentltly throughout the day. Hugging me, kissing me, drawing me pictures and offering to help me with chores all the time. They are handful, but I couldn't have asked for more loving stepchildren....so how can my children "not resent" my stepchildren? Then when my kids act out, I have to discipline them. (adding more to my guilt since I know they are doing it out of jealousy) I try to spend alone time with them every other weekend. I spend the day with them and then stay at my mom's for the night. My children want more of these "outings" with me, since itÂs the only time they feel like I am giving them my exclusive attention. After all they had it all their lives, up until I got divorced. But my DH complains that the weekends are the only time we could do things as a "family" so its not fair that his children don't get to come along with me and my children. I disagree, I think it is fair because his children have me all the time and "most" of my time goes to addressing their needs. They also have me for 2 weekends out of the month. I really donÂt think one day every other week is such a big deal. I mean I think I am being reasonable? On the other hand, I think he may be the one being "unreasonable".Its like he just "expects" my children to accept things and get over it. My DH is a sweetheart, but sometimes he just doesn't seem to understand how complex our family really is.I've always felt confident in my ability to make the best decisions for all of the children,but lately i've just been questioning myself on this issue...I could really use some feedback on this.

Thanks for listening,

Dcubana

Comments (4)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH