SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lithigin

Problem with countertop flowing out into window area

13 years ago

I'm looking for some advice here...

My wonderful window guy just finished installing my big, beautiful Soft-Lite garden window in front of where my sink will be. We discussed that the counter would flow out into the window sill area, and he measured for the finished cabinet height and such. The lower floor of the window (stainable/paintable wood) is level with the cabinet tops, as it should be.

The problem? Soft-Lite's crank housings for the side-lites sit 1/2-1" above the level of the window floor. My soapstone is 3 cm (1 3/16") thick. I don't see this as an installer/ordering error, as the window is the size it should be. He understood me when I explained the countertop thing. He has installed these windows before, but didn't think to check the clearance, and I didn't think to check where this brand's cranks are located. In fact, when I asked him what we could have done ahead of time to prevent a conflict, he wasn't sure that this could have been prevented. Perhaps I could have spent $1K more on the Okna one, although I can't find the photo right now to see if their cranks are located elsewhere.

The window isn't going anywhere, so the question is how to best deal with it. My ideas:

1) Regular height counter and have the templaters cut a thin skin (1/2", let's say) of soapstone to slide in to the floor that will just fit underneath the crank housings. This will result in a seam and drop-off of 2) Regular height counter that flows straight back until the front edge of the housing and that same thin skin would start at the front edge of the housing and extend to the back end of the window. The same seam/drop-off would be removed about a foot back from the faucet area and presumably be camouflaged by plants and things.

3) Give up on flow plan and paint the floor white and have an even greater drop-off behind the sink/counter. This will look silly, as the sill will basically be recessed under the edge of the counter.

I hope someone has a brilliant idea that will achieve the perfect flow-out that I fell in love with in some of your kitchens! How did you deal with this?

Edit: I ran upstairs to take a picture and the cabinet installer said "Why don't they take the housing off and rout out the shape of the housing so the counter can be regular height?" Is that the answer? *sigh*

Detail of crank on garden window

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Window pic

Comments (15)