SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lizzie_nh

Where do the sides of your backsplash end?

lizzie_nh
11 years ago

I've been considering installing a subway tile backsplash. Right now, the area is just painted. Quite frankly, I actually LIKE that look (I'm also the weirdo who really likes my "builder grade" (actually mid-range) oak cabinets.) But, I love subway tile too and it would be more durable.

The issue I am wrestling with is that our kitchen cabinets, which are laid out in the typical "L" shape, do not come all the way to the trim on either side. That is to say - to the left side of one "arm" of the L, is an exterior door, with white trim. To the right side of the other "arm" of the L is a patio door, again trimmed in white. But, the cabinets do not meet the trim. On one side there's maybe a 3-inch space, and on the other side, about 4 inches. Also, on one of the ends there is a light switch which is sort of halfway beyond the end of the cabinets, and halfway under the upper cabinet.

So, where to end the backsplash? It seems to make sense to have the edges line up with the ends of the cabinets (and work around the light switch, which cannot be moved over.) Is this a normal way of doing things if you're working with an existing kitchen layout? We'd have a strip of painted wall right next to the backsplash.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations