SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mom2emall

Freedom and being unsupervised

mom2emall
16 years ago

So my dh and I have had this conversation lately over how much freedom and unsupervision we should allow the older three kids (9, 11, 13). What do you think? The 13 year old is allowed to go out with friends around the neighborhood. I am not comfortable with the 11 and 13 year old doing so. They have to stay on our block when out with friends.

We were recently at an indoor waterpark and my dh wanted to let the older 3 go of by themselves! They are all great swimmers and the water was not above their heads in any place, but I thought the three should at least stay together if they were not with me or dh. He thought they should be able to be alone!!! We argued over it, I wouldn't allow them to be off in a strange place by themselves. I let them go in the lazy river together, while we sat in another pool with the youngest. They would come back and check in and then do waterslides etc. I was fine with that.

My dh says that I do not give them enough independance. I still think of them as kids that need to be supervised. I may be overprotective or he may be underprotective. What do you think? What types of things do you let children those ages do?

Comments (6)