SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
euglossa

looking ahead

euglossa
13 years ago

It's a little premature to buy flooring and paint, but that's the part I look forward to.

I plan to go with a swedish cottage look in the bedroom. Very spare and sparsely furnished, there isn't room for much anyway. White walls, trim and furniture. White bedding (impractical with a gray cat and a black dog, but there you go). Off-white, not white white. White louvered closet doors. Lots of blue accents. I am thinking of painting the vaulted ceiling faded denim blue, wondering about putting planks on the ceiling and perhaps one wall rather than drywall. Very dark wood or cork flooring. That's where I depart from the swedish look, but white floors seem way too impractical.

I have a really ambitious goal of weaving a blue and white overshot coverlet... I'm a very new weaver and that is complex weaving. Accent fabrics in blue and white crackle weave will be easier to start with. And woven cotton huck lace curtain for the window in the door.

I have a page torn out of a Martha Stewart magazine of a vintage wall paper glued to a roller blind for window coverings. I love the idea and really love the paper used in the example, a scene of a tree and heron on a blue background. I've done quite a few internet searches and haven't turned up anything like it. I'll start looking at fabrics I guess and might do something similar with a roman shade instead of a roller blind. Roller blinds hate me and never seem to work.

Flooring is a perplexing issue. The bedroom opens off the end of one ell of the kitchen. That ell intersects with the living room floor (dark and light 1 foot stripes of 'wood' laminate flooring)on the left and the bathroom floor (octagon and square in white ceramaic and terracotta glass tile) on the right. I have wanted really bright yellow linoleum floor in the kitchen forever, but I'm not sure I want four different floors crashing (clashing) together in such a small area.

One option is to make the bedroom and kitchen floor the same, which would probably be very dark cork. I'd lose my yellow floor, which I don't really want to do. The other is to bite the bullet and replace the laminate flooring and match that to the bedroom. I like the stripe effect, and could keep that by using the same material as the bedroom and a lighter shade. I am not impressed with the laminate... it's got a haze on the surface and I can't figure out how to get rid of it... steam mopping helps, but when it dries the haze is back...scratches? It is 8 years old and in good shape otherwise, so I don't really want to replace it if I could get rid of the haze.

I suppose I can put the yellow laminate in the loft, which would make a nice work surface for weaving and sewing... easy to sweep up threads.

But all this impacts kitchen counter choices. Which is a matter for another post.

Ellen

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County