SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
franksmom_2010

What is "average"?

franksmom_2010
10 years ago

This is kind of a real estate/decor question, and I have an idea in my head of what the answer is, but I just wanted to poll the group.

DH and I are looking at a property, and the appraisal lists things like flooring, cabinets, light fixtures, etc. as "average, better-than-average" etc.

Are there regional differences in those definitions? Does the definition change with the price and type of the property? How do professional appraisers grade things like this?

Ceramic tile is "better" than sheet vinyl, but prices and quality of both of those materials can vary widely. Personally, I'd rather have a high quality vinyl or linoleum than a cheap or ugly tile....Older solid wood cabinetry with a worn finish, ugly hardware and minor wear and tear is better (IMO) than brand new from the factory particleboard and laminate. Maybe I'm just old and weird.

Anyway, what's your take on this? What defines "average" house parts? How do you make an adjustment in price based on this? What if it's all "better than" but you think it's ugly/doesn't match the house/poorly installed/worn/wrong color/whatever?

Comments (10)