SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ericwww_gw

Enclosed entry way- keep or tear open?

EricWww
12 years ago

I'm new here and I really like this forum. I need some advice, and I hope I put this in the right forum.

Some background, my house is old 1955 and small (1000 sq ft), but it's my first house I bought from the original owner's last year. It needs some updating. I've been slowly doing some projects but am planning for spring time when the weather warms up for some exterior stuff.

There used to be a flimsy screen door that swings in of the enclosed porch, I hated it so I took it off. The previous owners also painted the trim etc this really ugly yellow color, presumably to match the mortar in the brick. I plan on painting it all white and try to match the downspouts to the color of the brick to better hide them.

For my enclosed 5'x8' porch/entry, I'm a little torn on keeping it, painting the siding white and adding a heavy storm door to the front OR tearing it out, but leaving the roof as a portico and putting in 2 columns and railing.

My thoughts for tearing it out- it's too small to be useful, I can't exactly put chairs there. The ceiling is low and it just feels clausterphobic in there (although the burnt orange paint inside doesn't help that). With the siding it looks like it's obviously added on, as the rest of the house is brick.

On the flip side- keeping it the same would be a less labor intensive project (I am an avid DIYer). I'd repaint the siding white, and the inside as well and redo the floor.

I read this thread and this other thread about the porches where one owner opened his and the other closed hers in, and can see + and - to both.

But I'd like to get your thoughts. Below is the house (yes the bushes are overgrowing):

Comments (17)