SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_63513

Week Five of Construction on White Dove

9 years ago

I have a lot of new pictures that I uploaded to the Flickr album. I'll put a few of them here, and for all of them, complete with my comments, please click one photo here and it will take you to the album.

Work is progressing. Monday they corrected the rise and tread depth of the steps. My DH is not able to come up steep steps, so we had them lower the rise and widen the treads. Now they are easier for me too.

First is the original framing cut for the steps, upon which I wrote my usual notes to the workers. I also emailed the info to the contractor, and left a printed note stuck to a nail inside the new addition. I used to do this for my boat crew, left notes everywhere for them, and it drove them wild. hehehe

And then in this photo you can see that it is now corrected to a better proportion. The steps are four foot wide. I like this view of the addition. It is coming right along. I think I took this shot this morning before the crews showed up, it was in the high 30s and sun was barely covering the trees across the street from our front yard. None of this work will show from the street, it might appear to be the same little house. Actually it will have a really nice kitchen, 2 master suites, but still only 2 bedrooms. Unless someone decides to turn the new sitting room into something like a guest room. But, they'd have someone passing through to the master. I don't think this house should be forced to have three bedrooms anyway. It is what it is, a small cottage with a new outlook on life.

Note that the right end of the deck has a lowered area with no boards on it? That is where the outdoor shower pan will sit. The tall 4x4 will support any curtain or panel I decide to install later for privacy from our roofsitting neighbor. Also note, the clipped corner on the deck? That is to give plenty of space for my DH to access HIS side of the garden and his workshop. His ladders can store beneath the deck, which will be enclosed below by squared lattice panels. I'll have a similar access panel at the opposite end of the deck, but that end will have no lopped off corner.

And for a few more pictures now...
Washer hookup, refrigerator water line. Electrician has not done his work yet.

Dog door from inside. It has a security panel over it in this shot. We waited to order window until it came in the mail, because the window sill should not interfere with sliding the panel in place to block the door off.

Looking through the window above the dog door. The washer/dryer stacking unit will be installed to the right of this window.

I'm standing in the neighbor's garden (isn't that a gorgeous Japanese maple she has?) looking west toward our house.

Here is the layout including our chainlink fence covered in star jasmine, the Teahouse roofline, and the gable of the new addition above the shade screen.

And the last one I'll load today, showing how the shade screen is preventing damage to my hosta garden. No trespassing of materials at all. The workers without exception realize that space is off limits. Even with the hostas dormant, the garden looks very special.

Comments (6)