SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lavender_lass

Kitchen/keeping room layout

lavender_lass
12 years ago

As many of you know, we've been working on a farmhouse remodel for some time. Due to a variety of setbacks, we're still in the planning stage...but we're trying something a little different.

Thanks to some out of the box thinking, by Summerfield...we're able to use the 1950's addition of living room/bedroom as the new kitchen/keeping room. I've always thought this space would be perfect...but couldn't come up with a layout for the rest of the home. Now that this is a possibility, I'd like your opinion on the kitchen layout.

This is for me and my husband and we live on a farm. We both cook and I especially like to bake. We have a large family (all live within 30 miles) and lots of nieces and nephews...who love to visit in the summer. So, the kitchen has to be flexible enough for just one or two people and still work for a bunch of helpers, too. The keeping room would have a table that expands to seat 8-10 and there are extra chairs we can use, out on the porch (through the door on the right).

Each square is one foot...and the island will be a wood top with the prep sink. The baking area (by the oven/microwave) will be marble and the other countertops will be ceramic tile...with the tile backsplash. The range is between windows and there's a big 5' window, over the sink, overlooking the porch. And for once, no woodstove...but a real floor to ceiling, raised hearth, brick fireplace. Perfect, for a keeping room :)
{{gwi:1446458}}From Farmhouse plans

A few inspiration pictures...
{{gwi:1434537}}From Farmhouse plans
{{gwi:1433881}}From Fairy tale cottage

Comments (53)

• dilly_ny
    12 years ago

It looks like a nice plan to me. Love the range and I am surprised that I like it with the flanking windows. I guess so long as you don't get wind that would effect the flame on your range. My ceiling fan effected my range in old set up.

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm glad you like it. The prep sink on the island really makes it all work, IMHO. Breezes won't be a problem, since we'll have an electric range. We don't have natural gas out in this area...and propane has its own issues. I'm so used to electric at this point, it would seem odd to cook with anything else.

It's funny, because I didn't think I'd like the windows on each side of the range, but it's really grown on me. I think having a larger space (18' across) makes a big difference...so there's room for more than just the hood and the windows :)

• Related Discussions

Round 'I-can't-keep-count' layout: shifted kitchen to the Right

Q

Comments (7)
    huango - Hats off to you for your fortitude - glad you are willing to go the extra rounds - not settling until you know you have it I just read first sentence re: crawl space - I live in Ct, more than 1/2 of our kit is on an addition/crawl space which was a porch at one time, later enclosed - orig kit was only 10 x 10 - Well many of the designs rendered plumbing in that area. After much consideration I decided against it due to the potential for freezing/cracking pipes - Our remodel started as the result of a flood (steam system auto feeder valve failure) - I was just not willing to take that risk - The only "plumbing" per se is new gas line running to the 36" AG range. Also, I just think the mud area in the kitchen is not a good idea - just my op - OUrs is tiny right off the kit - We have a modest sized home, dh will ask "do you want a bigger house" NO!! my only wishes would be for a larger mud room and a closet in the master bedroom (taken over in a prior reno by master bath) My mud area is complicated by 3 doors (back door, power room door, basement door) + 2 casement openings - the "main" part of the mud area is only 7'3" x 4'8" I can post pics if you like. I just think from many aspects, function, esthetics, form,noise,hygiene, resale - it's just a bad idea to incorporte it into the kit and camouflage it by large appliances - additionally just too many things going on in that space. I think a small walled off, well designed mud area will give you more bang all the way around As w/any design there is give and take - perhaps going back over your must haves, maybe, this is nice list, sweeby test - may help get a fresh look at the design I really wanted cook top and wall ovens - then caved on that for range - My sink by some standards is too far from range, prep sink was rec - I was unwilling to have prep sink due to the crawl space issue. Well, my $.02 for what it's worth - Keep up your great efforts you will get there. Like balancing a ck book - when you get stuck walk away - start fresh later you'll get "unstuck" All the best
    ...See More

Ideas for kitchen layout and keeping room ideas.

Q

Comments (11)
    A few questions to help you figure our your approach: Why do you want to give up the natural light made possible by window? Is it for additional upper storage or are you on a zero lot line? If so, add clerestory windows above the cabinets perhaps if you have high enough ceilings. Curving the island, while nice, will cost more and you still need to be mindful of clearance for door to screened porch. The keeping room seems approximately 16 X 13. It's larger than the the breakfast nook and many would use it for seating/tv space. Do you have convenient private space for family time elsewhere? How much time do you spend at the sink vs the range/cooktop? Based on how you use them, you could flip the two though the sink is in a convenient spot from the breakfast nook. An angled pantry can easily go where the desk is, and if you prefer DO those could go the left of a counterdepth french door or SxS RF. I'd place them next to the relocated pantry and have more open counter near the entrance. If you keep the RF in its current location, agree about the end panel. Not sure why you need a deep cabinet for the micro nor do I like its location in the entrance. I think the kneewall may refer to the counter height bar on the island vs all one level curved counter, but the all in one is not the greatest in your configuration as you don't have enough room for adequate counter in front of the working sink/cooktop space plus seats plus door clearance. This is a case where an outswing door may help if you have enough room on the porch for furniture placement.
    ...See More

Keep Separate Dining Room or Enlarge Kitchen?

Q

Comments (35)
    Long-time lurker here, but new to posting. I thought I would tell you how we are opening up our kitchen (currently gutted now). We have a 12'x16' Formal Living Room immediately to the left when walking into the foyer. Behind that is a 12.5' x 12' Formal Dining Room. The kitchen (small 10' x 10' plus breakfast nook) is in back, next to the dining room, and the family room is on the other side of the kitchen. I entertain our family of 17 several times a year and I'm not willing to give up the dining room. However, the living room, to me, is a HUGE waste of space. Nobody ever goes in there. In fact, whenever I host a gathering, everybody gathers in my tiny "U" kitchen and I can't move to open the oven, cabinets, etc. It drives me crazy. My solution: move the DR set into the larger living room, which is open by columns to the foyer, and expand the "U" of my kitchen into the dining room. This allows for a longer peninsula with breakfast bar. On the far wall of the "old" dining room, facing the kitchen, will be a "bar" area and a desk area. I will be able to supervise my girls doing homework, being online, etc. all while I prepare dinner. Plus, it gives our guests an area to socialize while meals are being prepared. I should also mention, though, that we have a small study with french doors. This room, essentially, will be the LR, and will house the piano, two chairs and a small desk or table. I do think it's important to have some type of private, closed-off room. I recommend reading some books by Sarah Susanka - her theory of using the space more wisely, as opposed to needing more space, was extremely valuable to me.
    ...See More

Need help with rug layout in an open concept dining/keeping room area!

Q

Comments (18)
    THANKS FOR THE PHOTOS, I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND A BIG AREA RUG IN THE CENTER BECAUSE IT WILL UNBALANCE THE DINING CHAIRS EVERY TIME YOU USE. YOU CAN ADD A RUG UNDER THE CHAIRS IF YOU HAVE ENOUGH SPACE A FOOT REST WOULD BE NICE IN FRONT OF IT. SOME INSPIRATIONAL PHOTOS MIGHT HELP
    ...See More
  • a2gemini
    12 years ago

Lavender - it is a lovely and very functional looking space (not that I am an expert)

What are you putting on either side of your bench?

Our GC is designing a fold down back for our bench - as it is by a window also. We will have the bottom cushion and then at that height, the back will have a piano hinge that folds it down when not in use. The back cushions will store on top of the folded down piece. It isn't complete, so can't show any pictures yet.

On each side of the bench, we have tall storage units with a pull out "cutting" board which are his and her desks...

Are you going induction? Just installed ours - only cooked one item so far...

• ControlfreakECS
    12 years ago

Lavender, you have worked on this for so long. I think it is great and will be a very lovely AND functional space. :)

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Gemini- Your bench sounds great! What a clever idea. For us, I'm picturing more of a freestanding bench with a back and maybe low arms. It would be nice to use it at the table for extra seating, when needed, but also a nice place to sit, by the window.

It's more of a keeping room style, so I don't want a lot of built-ins. Probably a tall bookcase, to the right of the fireplace and a shorter one, by the entrance from the hall. On one side of the bench is little end table (for a drink) and maybe a plant on the other side.

As for induction...I don't think so. I like my older pots and pans. Of course, if I tried cooking on one, I might really like it :)

Controlfreak- Thank you!

• Susied3
    12 years ago

Lavender, what happened with your other layout with the kitchen on the back of the house and MB on the other side?

I like this layout, but just wondered why you decided to change. Don't know the lay of your landscape, but the other way looked so nice flowing with your outside spaces.

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Susie- Summerfield tried something a little different in our plan...and I really liked it. The result was a bigger living room and bedroom and a bigger space for the kitchen/keeping room. The views are better and there's access through a side porch, to the vegetable garden.

Here's the overall plan. The master bedroom area is on the south corner of the house, and has the flower garden (roses, herbs and other flowers) with the parking to the left of the house. The best view of the pasture and trees is to the top right of the house. {{!gwi}}From Farmhouse plans

• Susied3
    12 years ago

Wow that is a radical change!

I just love all your outdoor areas.

It looks nice, I'm no layout person, but the overall design looks good.

• NewSouthernBelle
    12 years ago

I like it but I am not quite sure what everything is. What's on the left wall?
    Three other questions/thoughts
    1. How much space do you have on the sides of the sink? Is it "enough" for clean up? It probably is what it is, right and can't be changed. When push comes to shove though, clean up areas spread into other areas after the meal has been prepped, cooked and eaten so perhaps it doesn't really matter.
    2. On the uppers at the top right corner - it's blacked out - are you not going to have one of the two cabinets go all the way back there? Yes, it is "dead" space but it is still storage for things that you don't really need or care about. I had the same corner thing going on in my old kitchen and I would encourage you to make it a cabinet all the way back even knowing it is hard to access.
    3. Is the door to the sun porch already there and installed? Any chance you'd want it to swing the other way? I can honestly see the pros/cons of it hinged on either side but I just thought I should ask and give you something to think about. If it is right hinged (opposite of how you currently have it drawn) it has a definitive stopping point at 90 degrees b/c of the cabinet. The other way it swings into the keeping room which might bother me. I guess it depends how much it would over hang the cabinets into the kitchen and if you would go from the kitchen to the screen porch much.

It's exciting that you are getting to move forward on your kitchen remodel! I wish you the best with it.

• a2gemini
    12 years ago

Lavender
    I agree that our bench style doesn't match but just tossed in for an idea. Can't wait to see to fruition.

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Gemini- I looked for a picture of your bench on your post, but I didn't see it. Do you have it on another post? It might be something that would work well, in another part of the house...and I'd like to see it :)

Belle- Thanks for the response and the great questions! The left wall is the wall oven/microwave, with a marble baking counter. I think we have plentry of area for cleanup, but you're right...it does spread! LOL

The reason I blocked out the corner was because the plate rack might make it difficult to reach that space, but I'll keep it in mind, when we're looking at upper cabinets. We can always use more storage! As for the porch door, it swings against the 3' wall...which we have on either side, between the kitchen and keeping room. It's a load bearing wall that we're taking out, so we're leaving walls on either side.

• rhome410
    12 years ago

I think I love this kitchen layout. With all your inspiration photos, I feel like I can see it. And it seems like a good place to work, with the zones and elements like the prep sink well placed.

For me the oven/micro is a bit away, but I think you've said the wall oven is extra, and maybe you don't use the microwave much. I can understand why you might not want to move it to the other end of the baking center, where it might be handier, but makes for a tall object up against the doorway.

I framed in the corner in my kitchen just because I didn't need to or want to deal with the deep corners, so for me it's not a concern that you're giving up that 1 square ft of space... I'm guessing that's a plate rack on the back wall? I think that will really suit your style preferences shown in your inspiration pics.

Where will you bring in groceries and garden produce? Other than that might be a walk, I think the house flow seems nice. I might want the master bedroom where the study is, to take nice advantage of the screened porch and hot tub, but maybe you can't have everything. ;-)

2 things I notice about the kitchen plan... You have a shallow cabinet drawn above the fridge and I would encourage one that's 2 ft deep so you can reach it. Also, just a reminder for the nice classic trim on farm house windows, I'd want to leave some breathing room around the windows, so cabinets aren't right up to the edges. The stove wall windows look like they have that, but not sure about the sink wall. I know it's just a rough sketch, but good to remember in planning cabinet sizes.

Time and trying/sketching thousands of plans... What it takes sometimes to get what you really want.

• drbeanie2000
    12 years ago

Wow, lavender - a big change indeed!

I love all the outdoor areas of your house. I was going to write "around your house" but really, they look like part of the house!

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Beanie- Thank you! I love to garden, so the outdoor spaces are as important as the inside :)

Rhome- I'm so glad you like the layout! The wall oven is a second oven, so that will be my baking area...with a marble countertop. My husband can cook meats, broil, etc. in the range oven. You're right, we don't use the microwave much and I like that the countertop is handy to the doorway, back to the living room. While I'm baking, I can still see a bit into the living room and all the other areas have a nice view of the keeping room and/or sun porch.

Over the fridge, I'm actually thinking about just having a shelf with a plant. I never get into the cabinet we have now...it's just too awkward to use. You're right...that is a plate rack, to the right of the range and yes, I do need extra room around the windows, so I've tried to keep that in mind.

Groceries will come in either through the front door or the mudroom, depending on where we park and the weather. The flower gardens will be in the front and the veggies will be off, beyond the sun porch. Originally, we tried to have the master suite where the study is now...but it just didn't fit. It works so much better in the front...and it will have a better view of the garden, too.

• rhome410
    12 years ago

I couldn't remember enough about your property to know if you had something pretty outside the master windows. Good.. And with just the 2 of you, I suppose it's not a big deal to traipse through to the hot tub. ;-)

I kill plants, so keep my cookbooks above the fridge... Just had dh push the shelf forward so I could reach. Do you have a handy spot in this plan for cookbooks and any display space besides the plate rack, like for cool, farmy mixing bowls and such? I missed the boat for both of those things in my original plan, and was able to forge a bit of space for each, but not as much as I ended up wanting.

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Rhome- I do like to have a spot for cookbooks, mixing bowls, baskets, etc. I hope to have some open spaces on the island, too. I like both of these, but I do want to have stools on the side, facing the dining area...with beadboard for those little feet kicking the island. Lots of nieces and nephews come out in the summer, to see the horses and 'help' in the garden and kitchen :)
    {{gwi:1433914}}From Fairy tale cottage
    {{!gwi}}From Fairy tale cottage

• westsider40
    12 years ago

Hi LL, What is a keeping room? I see a great big kitchen with an eat-in area and a large island. As I recall, you are on a farm on a spacious lot in Montana.

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Westsider- Thanks for the response!

A keeping room dates back to Colonial times and usually means a place close to the fire, in or by the kitchen. Sometimes called a hearth room today, a keeping room is usually a separate seating area...or it can be a place for the table and seating, both.

In my case, it's a place to talk, read, play games, sit by the fire...and of course, eat together. The TV will be in the living room, so this is more of an eating/seating area, off the kitchen.

We live on an 80 acre farm in eastern Washington, about five miles from Idaho. We do have long, cold winters, so a cozy place by the fire is very popular. Having the raised hearth for seating, the chair and ottoman, bench by the window (for sunny days), desk area and the table make this room a little more multi-functional.

Off topic- While I do like white kitchens, the inspiration pictures above are more for the windows and range hood. With the brick fireplace, I'm thinking of having light wood cabinets, instead. I found this picture and like everything except the knotholes! The cutouts and handpainting are so charming. The green island is very nice and I'd like to have a blue plate rack, green pantry and maybe blue oven/microwave cabinet with platter rack above. Mixing in the blue and green with the wood, the white appliances...and of course, the bunny tiles should make for a fun, inviting kitchen that has a country feel. I also love french furniture, so there will probably be a bit of french country, when all is said and done :) {{!gwi}}From Farmhouse plans

• westsider40
    12 years ago

Thanks for the explanation, Lavendar.

• a2gemini
    12 years ago

Lavender
    The bench frame is in place and the 2 cabinets are complete except for the upper door hardware. GC is building the seat and back next week.
    When on a computer, I can send a preliminary picture but clunky from phone.

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Gemini- Congrats on being so close to finishing your kitchen! I'm looking forward to seeing more pictures, especially of the bench :)

• rosie
    12 years ago

Well, what an interesting development! I really like this layout overall, and that it better orients to the views is important. I can't quite remember--the keeping room will get some southern sun, right, like your bedroom? For some reason, the living room looks particularly inviting, nicely proportioned and more in the middle of things. I've always liked your ideas for the kitchen in general, of course.

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Rosie- Thank you! You're right, the front window faces southeast, so there's lots of nice light, especially in the morning. I really like the living room. It's so much better in the back...not only bigger, but better views and I like that the kitchen is closer to the front door. The master bedroom won't feel so much 'in the front' since the access is off the living room hall.

When Summerfield first drew this up, I wasn't sure...but the more I thought about it, I really like it! It works better with the outside spaces and the flow just feels a lot more inviting. I'm really excited to have the big fireplace off the kitchen, too :)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    12 years ago

Nice layout and I love that country French feeling you're going for, especially with how you plan on using the space...perfect!

A few thoughts....

I'd make the island as wide as comfortably possible. Even a few inches can make a difference.

Don't put the prep sink on the edge of the island...leave at least 12" space on the side makes the sink infinitely more useful. I learned that from a friend who made that mistake and was sorry.

Do consider induction cooktop. I grew up with gas, used electric for the first 30+ years of marriage, and now have induction in the new house. It is wonderful. I can boil water in less than 90 seconds, yet turn the heat down so low, I can melt chocolate without a double boiler. I can keep a cream soup warm for company without boiling. It is safer than electric if you have little ones helping as only the pot gets hot. And you have instant control... Just like with gas...as soon as you turn it down, it cools down. New pots are nice, and cast iron works terrific on it.

Hubby insisted on getting a tv over our fridge and it works well for us...we put it in a cabinet that has doors that nest inside out of the way. It's great to listen to while I'm cooking, or he likes watching the a.m. News while eating breakfast at the island. The space is hard to use otherwise anyway. And when I want it to go away, it's gone.

• Michael
    12 years ago

Well, after playing around with Megan's kitchen on that thread, I couldn't help but fiddle with yours, so I mocked it up in sketchup! A few things though: I forgot the prep sink, and the floors accidentally are on a weird angle, so disregard! Also, when placing the range wall as you designed, I felt it was missing the impact that your inspiration picture had, so I shifted the fridge and added the cabinets above it and next to the windows to ground the symmetry better. Other than that, it's a mix of what I've gathered from your threads and pics, hopefully merging the plans and inspiration pics to give you a better idea:

• rhome410
    12 years ago

With all due respect to Annie, and her preference, we have our prep sink on the corner as in your plan. It's infinitely more useful to us to have it on the corner...

- It is still very handy to the cook, leaving more unobstructed island workspace directly across from the stove for prep.

- To be able to use it from either the end as well as the stove side mean others can use it without getting into the cook's work area.

- It is great for microwave use and especially the baking center... for adding water to a recipe, washing gooey hands.

- Non-cooks can wash their hands, wash salad greens or fruit, fill pitchers, etc, etc, again without disturbing the cook.

- It can even help in buffet serving, by holding anything that needs to be kept cold... Just fill it with ice, and it's on the perimeter with the rest of the food, not around in front of the stove.

Moving it in would make it more of a one-person, one-function sink, and like I said, splits the island work surface into smaller sections.

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Annie- Thank you so much for the response! I don't think I'll even mention the TV over the fridge to my husband (LOL) but it is a clever idea. I did not know that cast iron works on induction...hmmm. Thanks for you input on the island sink, too :)

Rhome- Like you, I'm planning to use the sink from two different sides, otherwise I might move it over a bit. I think it's going to be great to have water so close to the baking area and prep area...and still have my clean up, out of the way!

Mvjc- Wow! What a nice layout! Thank you so much for bringing our kitchen ideas to life. The backsplash tile is wonderful (my second favorite, after the bunnies LOL) and everything looks great. While I like the look of the range, I do need a pantry in the kitchen, since the larger pantry is a bit further away than originally planned.

The beams and the way you did the big opening between the rooms, looks great! The island will be either blue or green...and the chairs/stools look perfect. The upper cabinets that come down to the counter are a neat look, but probably would not work in our kitchen. While I like a side/by/side fridge, I think we'll end up with a regular fridge (maybe freezer on the bottom) so that's another reason to have a bit more counterspace next to the fridge...and the pantry will make it easier to open the door all the way, to clean.

All those drawers look great...but even with our kitties and the barn kitties, we still get mice in the house occasionally. Drawers seem to attract them, so we usually use cabinets with shelves or even open wicker baskets. It the mice think the kitties can get to them, they seem to leave those areas alone.

Thank you so much for doing this...how fun to play around with the details, over the weekend! :)

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Rhome- What shape is your prep sink and how large is it? Do you have the faucet mounted on the back (closest to the stools) as it is, in the drawing?

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Bumping this up for Rhome's son to see. I'd like his take on how this would work for nephews/nieces coming over to bake cookies and help with garden produce. Usually 1-3 kids at a time, with either cake/cookies/muffins/cupcakes baking or harvesting peas/beans/carrots to wash and take home. We especially like the veggies (like purple beans) that change colors (back to dark green) when you cook them! :)

I wanted to add this idea for my front window, by the dining table. I'd like a window seat, so maybe a slight bump out would give us more seating, without taking away the floor space. {{gwi:1422907}}From Lavender Lass farmhouse pictures

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    11 years ago

You know...looking at these big windows and then seeing this kitchen, over on the Building a Home forum...I'm thinking about a little change.
    {{gwi:1446465}}From Lavender Lass farmhouse pictures

I miss the wider row of windows over the sink, that I originally imagined...and the upper cabinets by the range are so practical. I love the 'idea' of the windows on each side, but I think I will need the storage.

So, here's my alternate version, with the sink and range switched. Does it still work? Is the layout still overall a good one? It would be brighter, with the light over the sink coming in from ouside, rather than through the porch, too. {{gwi:1446460}}From Farmhouse plans

And my favorite Laura Calder kitchen, with all the windows over the sink :) {{gwi:1422909}}From Lavender Lass farmhouse pictures

• aloha2009
    11 years ago

Lavendar, I haven't been frequenting this forum like I used to (onto landscaping & gardening) and I was blown away by your layout!!! This seems to bring together all the elements of what you have been wanting into a beautifully functioning kitchen. Your persistence has paid off big time!

At the end of this thread it looks like you started second guessing yourself (we all do it). The last rough sketch though only has about 7' of window, not the 12' or so in the pic, you also don't have the direct venting of your range, not to speak that you actually LOOSE the window out to your sunroom. It looks to me as you would net the same amount of window openings but lose out on the functioning.

I'm big on windows (as you may remember) but I love your layout! You might be able to tweak out 3" more on each of the windows flanking the range if you really want the window space. Perhaps though it's the bank of windows you long for. In that case you'd have to forgo a LOT more upper cabinets then you did in your drawing, have a range that isn't vented, and lose the view to the sun room. Put your second guessing to the side, you found the one that works!

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, Aloha! I love the layout, but Athensmom has been warning me that windows on a porch do not bring in the light that windows to the outside will. And, I have this nagging feeling (for weeks now) that I will miss that upper cabinet storage, by the range. I'm tall and I use my uppers by the range all the time, now...so I'm going to have to 'live with it' a while longer. Luckily, I have plenty of time, but I am very excited about this new plan. Summerfield came up with a lovely floor plan and I can really see us living in it :)

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, a few more changes, but I think this is it! We've mocked up the layout, walked through it with my mom, discussed the details...and we all seem to like it! :)

So, plan for kitchen/keeping room... {{gwi:1446464}}From Farmhouse plans

Idea for cabinets and island... {{gwi:1446457}}From Farmhouse plans

Pot rack over island (but I need to add a light). We'll probably have our friend make it for us...but this gives you the general idea. Love the herbs mixed in with just a few other items... {{gwi:1448518}}From Lavender Lass farmhouse pictures

And idea for window seat in dining area... {{gwi:1448520}}From Lavender Lass farmhouse pictures

• rhome410
    11 years ago

Sorry, this last idea just doesn't work nearly as well as that plan at the top. The fridge/prep sink/stove arrangement was about perfect in that one, and now you're spreading everything out, and criss-crossing your zones. I would love to have that top plan, but not as much this latest version, I'm afraid. Your stove is no longer situated with the island for the great prep space you created before.

I also think square islands are cool, but I don't think this works with the doorway. It'd be good if the L continued long enough, but not as nice with the doorway opening into the side.

I LOVE the quartersawn oak and you could do a bit of a change of style and materials, but you've been wanting French country for SO long, and this isn't it.

You give too much credit to my 8 yr old, I think! ;-) He is sometimes interested in looking at befores and afters, but not into reading floorplans and envisioning usage yet. He's starting to use the software to draw walls and such, but his kitchens are far from forum ready. :-D

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Rhome- Thank you so much for your response! I value your opinion and appreciate the time you've taken to help me with this. As for your son...I always value the opinion of kids, because they have a different way of looking at the space and what's important to them. I also ask for input from kids (and their parents) when shopping for nieces and nephews...if I'm not sure what the coolest present is this year :)

As for the layout...I just don't think I can lose the uppers by the range and I don't want our only windows to be overlooking the porch. The other plan was much better functionally (I agree) but I think this one will work better for the two of us...and it gives me more seating for the nieces and nephews. And, if the doorway you think is in the way is the porch...that won't be used as often as the front. It's a seasonal entrance, but still a valid point.

I thought those cabinets were pine, because of all the darn knot holes! That's the one thing I don't like...but I think the light wood will warm up the bunny tile, blue countertops and go better with the brick fireplace.

Bunny tile... {{!gwi}}From Lavender Lass farmhouse pictures

Color of tile countertop (all but wood on island and marble in baking area)... {{!gwi}}From Lavender Lass farmhouse pictures

And I still love this picture...just with the green island and the brick fireplace :) {{!gwi}}From Lavender Lass farmhouse pictures

• rhome410
    11 years ago

You are right, I think, that the hutch with the knots is pine. I was talking about the oh-so-gorgeous kitchen above, that, I realize now, you liked for the windows.

For the 2 of you, you might make anything work, although efficient work space is efficient work space, and can very much improve the day after day kitchen tasks. It will especially make a difference when you have all the family over and participating in baking and meals. If your priority is to make it a great space for multiple workers having a great time working together without getting in each other's way, you've lost a lot of that with the latter plan.

What do you plan to store in all the uppers around your stove? I thought I needed uppers around mine, and now wish I had a spice drawer and other oil storage...and then there'd be no need for uppers at the stove wall.

Ok, I will certainly ask my son...

I asked him what he likes about our kitchen... He said he likes working at the island to bake. Mostly he was just a little perplexed what to say, because he said, "I like all of it... What it looks like and how it's set up." He was barely 2 when we moved from our last house, so he doesn't have much to compare to! I asked him why he liked it better than my mom's kitchen (the only other one I could think of that he's particularly familiar with), and he said because it's bigger with more places to work.

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    11 years ago

LOL! Thanks Rhome...your son has his priorities straight...baking was my favorite thing at his age, too! Especially cookies :)

Of course...the quartersawn oak kitchen! That made me realize I was going to need those uppers, by the range. It's been giving me some concern for weeks. I'm so used to having salt, spices, herbs, pasta, some canned foods, kind of a mini-pantry...right by the range. Our current pantry is in the next room and I think I've gotten a bit lazy being able to grab items and stir, all at the same time. I also keep a lot of my teas, extra sugars, a few liqueurs, etc. that I like to add to sauces and other foods.

With the separate baking area, there will be a great place for most of the other items...and we will have the small pantry...but the larger pantry (due to constraints of the exisiting home) will be on the other side of the living room...about 25' away. That's probably my main concern, when I think about losing that upper cabinet space.

Even though it's not quite as functional, I do think the kitchen will be more of a farm style, with the big island and pot rack. I love european cottage, french farmhouse, and rustic/romantic styles, so the big fireplace and dining table will really be nice in the space.

And...I have not forgotten your suggestion to add more 'country' touches to the space, for mixing bowls, display, etc. Thanks, again :)

• rosie
    11 years ago

Whatever feels right to you, Lavender. Just to add to the discussion about the various opportunities and tradeoffs:

Regarding upper cabinets, my kitchen is a fairly compact L+island with NO uppers whatsoever over the L, and I have most of those things you mention handy for cooking right there in drawers. Not canned goods or pasta, they're on the opposite wall, but certainly all spices, vinegars, oils, bottled sauces, vermouth, cornstarch, arrowroot, various specialty items like tinned glacee, miso powder and pho cubes, garlic, shallots, onions, potatoes, and on and on. Right there for a super quick grab in drawers and pullouts.

Regarding windows on both walls, windows offer more than just direct sunlight. When you look toward a window your gaze is able to keep right on going, instead of stopping at the front of a cabinet. Also, light coming from 2 directions is much more functional than light from one, providing a more diffuse light that both minimizes shadows on work surfaces and eye blinking while turning from one direction to another. Of course, you may recall I do think a keeping room needs some restraint when it comes to adding more and more glass, but some on at least two walls would be much nicer, as well as more functional, than a lot on one.

For so many this is a luxury they can't have, but you can with all the advantages of your lovely rural location--like old settler homes and country French. Without, I'm also just a little afraid that your kitchen might end up reminiscent of a subdivision one--you know, like the millions that cannot have windows on two sides because of the ubiquitous attached garage on the other side of the wall, or maybe just to provide privacy from the neighbor's bedrooms.

I see I've gone on and on again. In this case it's because I've always really liked your ideas and plans but at least some window on both walls would be very high on my own list. Hey--how about little ones under the cabinets by the stove? :)

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Rosie- Thanks for the response! I agree about the light, but we will have the French door to the glass porch and that will be a bit of a view, from the range. We also have the small window by the fireplace and the big window seat...as well as the three windows over the sink. I actually switched the range and sink to get extra upper cabinet space...and more windows over the sink, too.

The porch will be windows on three sides, and will let some light in, but that's the northeast corner of the house (the house is on the angle...front faces southeast) so it won't be a lot of light, into the kitchen, itself. Some people on the Building a Home forum, thought it would be better to have more light on the back, where it would be more direct and a bit brighter. What do you think?

• rosie
    11 years ago

You're right. I was sitting here hacking and blowing my nose and missing some important parts of the picture. Okay, you can lose the windows if you want. :) It'll also make the living room and its exposures the more special.
    For sure, who couldn't agree with putting the sitting area where it can get some south sun? You won't be able to resist curling up there. Plus, that area and the living room will have different views and sunlight at different times of the day.

My aunt lives in Spokane and I love visiting her in her pretty little city, but I've never spent a winter in east Washington. I'm actually not at all sure that lots of snow and weeks in minus and single digits is worse than brown, snowless teens and 20s in Georgia, though; maybe very much opposite. In any case, that's going to be a wonderful room for it.

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Rosie- LOL! I'm sorry, I shouldn't laugh...I hope you feel better, soon. Allergies?

I like your description of the different views and changing light throughout the day. That really explains what I'm hoping to do, with the remodel. Small places to curl up, within the larger spaces.

As for winter, it's long but I do like snow over rainy/leafless weather. I haven't spent a winter in Georgia, but in Seattle it's not too cheerful (no offense to western Washington) but I'm VERY glad it's now spring and the lilacs are about to bloom! :)

• Susan
    11 years ago

i really like it---the only change i'd make for myself would be to place a full size dish sink and dw on that island so they are closer to the dining table.
    i wouldn't want to walk all the way to the window sink to do the dishes or put them away for that matter.
    plus i only like prep sinks on bars, in my kitchen the sinks are all full size!
    this way the cook also has a full size sink in the cook's work area/fridge/range side of the kitchen to herself while kids set or clean up the table on the other side.

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Fallingwaters- Thank you for the idea...but the island is 5' x 5' with the seating...so about 3 1/2' square cabinet area. It's more for baking and working with the nieces/nephews on projects...cooking, gardening, crafts, etc. The table is nice for that too...but I think that's where the parents will be sitting, drinking tea/coffee, while I'm playing with the kids :)

• gr8daygw
    11 years ago

If rhome410 like it that's a very good sign! I've always enjoyed rhome's good advice. I love your plan and your inspiration pictures. I actually have that blue kitchen picture in my pinterest acct. Funny!!! Your house is just beautifully planned. Love all the outdoor spaces. Good luck!

• Susan
    11 years ago

i really like it---the only change i'd make for myself would be to place a full size dish sink and dw on that island so they are closer to the dining table.
    i wouldn't want to walk all the way to the window sink to do the dishes or put them away for that matter.
    plus i only like prep sinks on bars, in my kitchen the sinks are all full size!
    this way the cook also has a full size sink in the cook's work area/fridge/range side of the kitchen to herself while kids set or clean up the table on the other side.

• 2LittleFishies
    11 years ago

I love all your inspiration photos. Your kitchen will be so inviting and fun to work in : ) I read the whole thread and can see why you are leaning towards moving the windows....

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Gr8day- Thank you! I'm really happy with the plan, especially the kitchen and outdoor spaces :)

Fishies- You are so sweet...thank you for all your help and support! I know your kitchen is going to be beautiful! I wish we could get together and visit each other's kitchens...what fun that would be!

• 2LittleFishies
    11 years ago

lavender- no problem- I don't feel like an expert enough to comment much about layout but It looks good to me! : ) I wish we could visit too!
    (PS- I made 2 new posts to my discussion if you get a chance)

Here is a link that might be useful: Fishies Kitchen Discussion : )

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Summerfield updated my plan, so I thought this would be a bit easier to see. I'm so excited to get this done and Summerfield did a beautiful job, not only with the software but suggesting much of the layout! :)

I really like the kitchen/keeping room...not sure why there's a different countertop on the island...but unless butcher block would be a problem for the stool area, I think it will be one big 5' x 5' piece of butcher block. {{!gwi}}From Farmhouse plans

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    11 years ago

One more change...right (LOL)...but I'm optimistic, this time!

At least everything else in the plan is wonderful and I haven't changed a thing, except some kitchen details. The square island...while I like the seating not being 'lined up' it just feels so BIG. I mean a 5' x 5' piece of butcher block is going to be, well, BIG!

So, I found this picture in Country French magazine. I know some of you have seen it in my other post, but I wanted to update this one...just in case Mvjc might want to play with the software this weekend! :)

Here's the picture...and what I like is the idea of the butcher block island for prep, but the smaller marble table pushed up to it, for seating. It doesn't feel so heavy and the nieces/nephews are still not lined up in a row. {{gwi:1448525}}From Lavender Lass farmhouse pictures

And the plan with the changes...including a few more upper cabinets by the sink and range. The range has a bigger hood/vent, too. {{!gwi}}From Lavender Lass farmhouse pictures