SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mdodnc

Feedback on kitchen reno

mdod
14 years ago

I didn't get any responses to my original post so I hope this more concise post won't scare everyone away.

I've been lurking and collecting ideas for a couple of years now and I'm finally ready to tackle our 18 year old kitchen. Before I start ordering cabinets, I'd love to get some feedback from this talented bunch. Overall, I've been very happy with my kitchen but there's always room for improvement. Here's the pictures and layout of our current kitchen.

I'm going to use frameless cabinets and drawer bases and I'm 99% sure I'm switching from gas to an induction cooktop. I like low maintenance and I give priority to function over form.

Things I don't like about my current kitchen:

Fluorescent light box over the island

But it does put out a lot of light. I have 9' ceilings and undercabinet lighting and the adjacent nook has a vaulted ceiling with 2 skylights and a fanlight. If I removed the light box and put pendants over the island, would cove lighting above the cabinets provide enough light?

Island

Grease hasn't been a problem, but the downdraft vent prevents me from putting drawers under the cooktop and the 21" cabinets on either side are not wide enough to hold pots and pans efficiently. Would a deeper cabinet let me push the cooktop and the downdraft back a little to give me more room for drawers. The cabinets are 24" deep with a 12" overhang at the back but we never use that as a bar so I could fill that area with cabinets. I've got 42" of clearance all around the island so I think I could expand it back a few inches toward the oven too.

Many people discourage island cooktops. I'm not sure where I'd move the switches and outlet that are currently in the way but the only other possible location is to the left of the dishwasher. Is that idea even worth pursuiting?

Countertops

I have laminate now and that's probably what I'll stick with. Unfortunately the main counter section is 7' wide and 13' long so I've got a seam right by the refrigerator and at the bumped out section but anything else would have to be seamed. Is 5'x12' still the largest size laminate you can get? I just haven't seen any granite or quartz that turns me on enough to justify the cost. And heaven forbid I don't like it once it's in!!! OTOH, I can see where having a stone countertop somewhere would be nice. Is it crazy to put stone on the island and laminate on the main counters?

TIA for any comments/suggestions.

Comments (14)