SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nagalingam

Lawn reno. Could use some feedback.

usav gan
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

My backyard (4000sf) has been dead the last two years, but have kept if weed free the hard way. My goal over the next couple of years is to create a non-chem lawn that is less susceptible to heat and drought than the chem-n-water hungry lawns I have had in the past.

I have spent some time reading through the forums and have put together a possible path forward. Would welcome your expert opinions.

SOIL TEST (UMass): pH 5.3; Phosphorus 4.2; Potassium 52; Calcium 425; Magnesium 33; Sulfur 10.2; Aluminium 103; Lead 4.3; CEC 10.0; Exch Acidity 7.5; Cacium Base Saturation 21; Magnesium Base Saturation 3; Pottasium Base Saturation 1; Soil Organic Matter 4.3%

I am encouraged by the OM % but everything else is low. :(

As for next steps:

1) Raise pH. I cannot find CAL-TURF-PRO in my local stores so I am going with Jolly Gardner Fast Acting Lime which is also from Old Castle and claim to have the same performance enhancers but they are pellets.

2) Spread SBM + Alfalfa meal. Local Agway had a product called SafeNSimple Field and Pasture Food, a 5-1-5 for $40 (https://blueseal.com/product/?id=177), Unfortunately, that was my only choice in the area for SBM.

3) Lightly work it into the top 2" of soil. I read that trying to till 4" deep could bring up weed seeds and also cause damage to existing OM. I am trying to not mess much with my existing OM.

Granted a higher pH could mean better breakdown of SBM, but since I do not have the CAL-TURF-PRO, chances are the move to pH is a long term affair.

Q1) Yet, should I space them out or is it ok to throw both in and mix? Also, I am planning to spread SBM+Alfalfa at 10 lbs/1000sf. Considering how low is my NPK, should I go at 20lb rate?

Q2) Since bone meal is expensive I am thinking of adding Rock Phosphate or Triple Super Phosphate at the same time too as these 2" form the seed/root layer for the grass.

4) After 2-3 weeks or so, spread seed and thin 1" layer of compost. For seeds, I am looking at Jonathan Green Black Beauty (because it is 80% tall fescue) for sunny areas (12 hrs sun in summer) and Cavacchi Shade Supreme (80% Chewing fescue) for extreme shade (only 2 hrs sun per day).

Q3) is the 1" compost layer too much to be on top of seeds? 1/2" instead? Or, should I just mix the compost with step 3 and just put down seed and roll?

I also need to add magnesium too but looking to add that and humates and other stuff (CGM) in the spring.

Thanks!

(Massachusetts)

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville