SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aliris19

Another dilemma in re the intersection of commerce and morals

aliris19
12 years ago

So how does this work?

How does it come to pass that an internet retailer (IR) offers a product for sale that the manufacturer will not acknowledge?

How did the IR come by the product? Why is it that they can sell it yet the warranty is not honored by the company?

It's been said that the warranty is between the purchaser and the company .... so, if I buy from a non-acknowledged retailer, the company is saying essentially that the entity I bought it from was the original owner and not me, hence no warranty?

So .... the company gets to designate who is permitted to sell on their behalf.

I guess this is legit? I guess I don't have any 'right' to a warranty with the company. I guess one could have a (legal) issue with the IR who claims to be an "authorized retailer" or whatever else they claim, but then to be unable to extend the warranty to you. That's probably fraud, right?

But I repeat: where do the IR get the product from? They must originally come from an authorized distributor (or the company directly). And there's obviously an ongoing source of the product -- how can the company not know where it's coming from? They could trace the serial number if they cared.

...so obviously they don't. It evidently is an advantage to the company, regardless of what they say, to have IR out there selling product cheaply that they won't warranty.

So the company gets this vague swirl of good reputation that they don't actually have to uphold.

Lovely.

And BTW, why isn't this anti-free-trade or whatever? It certainly isn't letting market forces work - doesn't work for me, the end-consumer.

Comments (21)