SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
margaret_garfield

moral dilemma about 'stray' cat

margaret_garfield
16 years ago

I was feeding a cat that has been hanging around my house. He was very thin (you could feel his backbone and all his ribs, no fat at all); and, after two weeks of my daily feeding, he has gained fat over his ribs although he is still thin.

I was arranging for my sister, who works with cat rescue places, to take him. My neighbor said he thought the cat had an owner, so I put on a collar with a note asking to be called if the owner saw it. About a day and a half later, I get a call from a man. He says it is his cat and, because the cat pees in the house, it has to live outside. He claimed the cat has an insulated cat house and is fed daily.

I don't have a problem with outdoor cats, but it bothers me how skinny this cat is. He has quickly put on weight since I have been feeding him, so I know it's not from old age or sickness.

So, do I continue with my re-homing of him or do I just stay out of it?

I also might feel bad giving someone a cat that is known to pee inside (although I took one in once that never had another accident). I know another poster asked about "truth in advertising" about why animals are at the shelter.

Also, this cat would rather sit outside my house for two hours in horrible weather than go "home". He is even more eager for affection than food sometimes.

I can't just keep feeding him because he is driving my cat insane. She hates other cats and throws herself against the glass door when she sees him.

Margaret

Comments (12)