SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sue36_gw

A warning when buying appliances...

sue36
13 years ago

When we built our house almost 5 years ago I, of course, purchased a kitchen full of appliances. Our very expensive 48" built-in KitchenAid fridge stopped working this past week. Apparently the inverter is shot (my understanding is that is like a circuit board or computer). Total bill will be about $400. I had in my extensive notes from back then that the warranty was 1 year PLUS 4 years (in other words, I purchased an additional 4 year warranty). I called the outfit I purchased it from (ABT Electronics) and they verified I have an extended warranty, emailed me my invoice and gave me the number at GE/Assurant to call to arrange service. I called GE and they informed me they have no record of a warranty being purchased for me (for that appliance, they have a record on my Marvel fridge, which also crapped out at one point). That is lesson 1, after you purchase warranties CALL the warranty company and verify the warranty exists.

GE told me to have a proof of purchase sent from ABT to them to show the warranty was purchased. I called ABT again and a different person claimed it was a 4 year total warranty but that they would send the paperwork to GE. GE and the repair place (which is a top appliance repair shop in my area, and GE warranty and KA certified) says that is untrue, the paid-for warranty runs after the 1 year manufacturer warranty (as I have it written in my notes).

I called GE to see if they received the proof of purchase from ABT...ABT did not send it. Luckily, in my notes I found the number of the original sales agent from almost 5 years ago so I called him at ABT. He assured me I DO have a warranty that it doesn't expire until December, but they can make no commitment on when they will get around to telling GE that. In the meantime, I have no fridge or freezer (this has been going on for days). The part is on order and a repair date has been set up, but I can't even get GE and ABT to get their paperwork in synch. You cannot even imagine the amount of time I have spent on this. And of course, I can't let the repair take place until this gets straightened out or I will end up paying for it.

So, lesson 1...verify the warranty with warranty company. Lesson 2...get something in writing from the seller that clearly describes the dates of the warranty. My sales slip says "4 year parts&labor", I, GE and the sales rep understand that to mean 4 years after manufacturer's warranty, but at least 1 customer service rep at ABT disagrees. That one customer service rep, and the person at ABT who never sent the original paperwork to GE, is causing a lot of headaches.

Stay tuned to see if ABT steps up and does the right thing...

Comments (31)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!