SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sarah_bablabla75

Is this independent appliance store sketchy? Should I buy from them?

Sarah
2 years ago

We're closing on our house next month and we need to buy a fridge, washer, and dryer. I had read that everybody seems to recommend going with an independent appliance store if possible, which sounded like a fine option, and I found one near our house that has good reviews. Even better, they had the exact fridge I wanted in stock. But then a series of red flags arose, and I'm not sure what to do. I don't think they're scammy or doing anything illegal, but now I'm not sure if I should buy from them as planned or just go with a big box store like Home Depot. I've never bought appliances before, so I don't know if these red flags are weird or if I'm just being picky.

Flag #1: when I talked to them before I had zeroed in on what washer and dryer I wanted, I went over to the store to see a particular model in person. They didn't have the exact model I asked for in stock, but they had another similar one that he said was "the same except it's last year's model." I asked if it had a couple of specific features that I was interested in, which he reluctantly admitted it didn't have, but he kept saying that it was basically the same and those other features were gimmicks. (E.g., wifi enabled so I can get a message on my phone when the washer is done.) Later at home, I did more research online comparing the two models, and his representation that it was the same was not really accurate at all. It had some of the same features, but it was missing a lot of the ones I wanted.

Flag #2: Despite flag #1, I was still planning to purchase the fridge we wanted from them once we had a closing date (which we now do). So I went over there today with the intention of buying it, but after the washer/dryer discussion, I wanted to verify that it was in fact the exact model fridge that I wanted. He led me over to it, and it was indeed the exact model I was interested in. However, despite being new, it was just sitting in their warehouse, completely exposed, and not new in box. He had described it previously as "new, open box," but it was just sitting in a very cramped warehouse where we had to turn sideways to walk in between the various appliances. Everywhere I looked, the appliances were dented or scratched or had dirt and dust on them. "New, open box" is one thing, but this is just sitting out and not in a box at all. When I opened the fridge, it had kind of a weird smell, but maybe that's just the smell of plastic and a not- yet-powered fridge. I've never had a new fridge before. It's a $3,000 fridge. I kind of feel like I'd want it to be in a box, but maybe I'm overthinking it? He would be holding it for us until delivery at the end of November, so probably it would just be sitting out in their warehouse that whole time.

Flag #3: Since the fridge was just sitting out, I wanted to inspect it carefully for damage. Everything looked fine at first, but after a while I noticed a 3" scratch/dented area on the exterior of the lower freezer drawer. I pointed it out to him, and he said "oh, just a second" and had me follow him around to a different part of the warehouse. There he pointed to a different fridge from the same company, which he said was the same except for having a screen in the door. He told me he'd just give me the freezer drawer from that one instead. I was skeptical that the freezer drawers were exactly the same, but after comparing the two it looked like they were the same. I asked if this would void the warranty, and he said "no, they only care about the model number of the main fridge part and compressor part, so everything else can be switched out and it's fine." This seemed to make sense, but also... I'm getting a $3k fridge and something just feels off about it having some replacement freezer drawer right off the bat. He also said they have another one of this model at their other location 40 minutes away, so if there is an issue he could give me that one instead. Of course, for all I know, that one is open in a warehouse with a not-yet-discovered scratch as well. If I'm spending this much money on a brand-new fridge for my brand-new house, I'd kind of like the fridge to be new. Not a frankenfridge.

Flag #4: The doors in the fridge weren't even vertically (it's a French-door fridge), but he said that this is adjustable when you install it. Looking online, it sounds like he's probably right about that?

Flag #5: After my initial visit when he had tried to tell me that the W/D I wanted was basically the same as a different one he had in stock, I later determined what specific models I wanted to buy. I emailed him to ask if he had those models in stock (which he had invited me to do), and I emphasized that I wanted those exact Samsung models and not any others that were similar. After no response for a couple days, I called and spoke with someone who said he would check and get back to me. The next day he replied and said "for the washer and dryer you were asking we have them in LG . if you need Sansung brand we have dryer and we will get washer this week . we have samsung black stainless steel front load as well." Putting aside the fact that "we have them in LG" is a meaningless statement when I'm asking about a particular Samsung model, I was frustrated to still not know if they would have what I wanted. Some retailers have long waits for the dryer I want, so I need to order it very soon. So today when I came in, I asked the guy about these specific models. He said they did not have either of them now (counter to what the other person said in the email), and he would have to check the list of what is coming in and he would email me later today. I am frustrated that they don't know if they will have this model and their continual attitude that one is as good as any other.

So these are all the flags. Here are all the questions I'm trying to think through:

• Is it weird that they don't know what washers and dryers are coming in next week?
  • Is it a bad idea to buy a fridge that is (a) just sitting out in the warehouse for the next 30 days, (b) may have a replaced drawer from some other fridge, or (c) may be a model from their other store that I've never seen?
  • It has definitely been annoying to deal with this guy, but the place has very good reviews and people seem to say that they have good follow-up service about any issues or difficulties that may arise. It might still be the right buy. Aside from the issues above, he's been very friendly.
  • I know people say independent appliance stores are better. His price is about $300 lower than if I just bought this from Home Depot. Are the warning signs above more of a concern than $300 more from a big box store? My understanding is that if you have an issue after buying from Home Depot or Lowe's they'll tell you to call the manufacturer and have a nice day. But maybe I'd rather pay $300 more and have that big-box experience than get a sketchy fridge from the independent place.

I would very much appreciate any and all opinions on what I should do! As I mentioned above, I've never bought an appliance before and I have no idea if this is normal or weird.

I wanted to finalize the fridge and W/D purchases today, but it looks like that's not going to happen. Hopefully I can get things straightened out soon.

Thank you!

Comments (17)