SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19691726

Oh, baby!

User
14 years ago

OK, so how's that for a subject line! ;-)

As my Grannie was packing up her things, getting ready to move into the nursing home recently, she called me to come over so that she could give me the treasures that she's been telling me she wanted me to have "someday", ever since I was a little girl. Of course, I'm quite saddened that "someday" has already arrived, but I'm also honored and thrilled to have these sweet reminders of her in my home now.

This is the doll that was Grannie's when she was a girl. She's 92 years old now, so the doll is at least 85 years old. I think this is just the sweetest little baby - her face is so pretty and her coloring is still vibrant and fresh. Grannie says she didn't play with her very much, always being extremely careful and wanting to protect her so she'd "last." I guess that paid off, as the baby still even wears her original socks and diaper!

I'm not much of a doll person, but I'd really like to figure out how to best display this dear one in my home. Of course, many of you know that my decor runs to southwest and Mexican art for the most part. It's not like I can stick the doll in the display cabinet that's full of Hopi kachinas and Acoma Pueblo pottery, ya know? I just really don't know how or where to display her. I want to continue to keep her safe (so anywhere the cats could manage to knock her down is not a good idea), and I've considered trying to find some sort of glass display case just for her -- but the thought of putting her behind glass makes me feel ever-so-slightly creepy, for some reason. Anyway ... here she is. The marking on the back of her neck reads "Century Dolls, Rostner [I think], Germany." Any thoughts on how best to protect and display her, that wouldn't be too incongruous with everything else going on in my house?

Comments (19)