SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
doc9

My stepson

doc9
17 years ago

I have a 8 year old ss who is a great kid that I love...But, in the heirarchy of our family I am not the one who has anything to do with punishing him, and he knows this. His mom and I argue about this quite a bit. I will watch him do something like walk on clean folded laundry and when I ask him if he thinks it's a good idea to walk over the clean laundry he will just say something like "oh, I didn't see it" Then will proceed to walk back over to the laundry and step on it again, then look to make sure I saw him do it.

I love my wife and my family and have no real issues with the older stepson who just turned 11. I have been living with both of these boys for about 5 years, so they are used to the idea of the split homes. Dad is remarried and has stepchildren of his own.

My stepson is a cause of tension between my wife and I... I think she babies him and gives in way to easily, she will say no 10 times and he will keep bugging, finally I will get sick of hearing it and say something to the affect of "your Mom said No, now drop it" Just to hear him say "c'mon why can't I", then the Mom gives in.. of course after I mentioned "no". I just have to sitback and watch him talkback, hit, or whatever, all the while disrespecting his Mother. This behavior does bother my wife and she will yell at him once in a while. But, the behavior continues.

I guess I want advice on how to handle a situation like this. Do I just continue to live in frustration? Is there a constructive way to approach this sore subject w/ my wife? Should i have a sit down w/ my ss? Or, do I just bite my tongue and try to ignore all situations?

p.s. My wife says that I am very critical of him, I disagree. I am no more critical to him than any of our other children (I have a 11 year old girl) I just think she notices it more because he is the baby in the family. Critical: meaning if they say something that is wrong I will usually point it out. Just trying to help them grow up and teach them little life lessons.

Comments (9)

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus