SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
makingitourhome_gw

What makes a home comfortable and welcoming?

makingitourhome
10 years ago

I am sure this will be very subjective, but I am curious... what makes a home feel comfortable to you? I know that, for me, I have gone to the homes of family and friends... some houses make me instantly feel welcome, and others... not so much.

For example, my husband and I are very good friends with this couple... their house is beautiful. They have put a lot of money into it, remodeling practically every inch of it. Aesthetically, it's lovely. However - I don't get that "homey/ cozy/comfortable" feeling when I am there. I have tried to put my finger on "why", and these are the only things I can come up with:

- Not enough lighting - overall the house feels very dim
- Not many personal touches - everything feels like it was bought at the same store. Very few photos.

However, I think about another friend's house, and I instantly feel like I am coming home when I visit her and her husband. The house is a different style, but not in nearly as good shape. The kitchen is in dire need of some work (cabinets are missing doors) and the family cats have destroyed some of the door frames and woodwork. And yet, there is something so warm about that house. I think it may be their use of warmer colors and fabrics. Family pictures clutter the fridge, along with their son's artwork. Their furniture and personal items all have an eclectic "collected over time" look.

I ask this because I want my house to feel like "home" to visitors. My husband and I are going to be doing some work to the house over the next few years, and my goal is to create a home that tells everyone "Welcome! We love you and are so glad you could be here! Please, stay a while, make yourself comfortable, and relax!" But how do you do that through design?

Comments (46)

• cheryleb
    10 years ago

Is it perhaps that the first friend just has different taste and you feel more at home in a house that is decorated more to your style?

I think comfortable furniture and a slightly lived in feel make a house more welcoming. I am not much into a lot of personal items or pictures in the main areas. It is personal preference but I find too many different items in a room almost unsettling. Again though that is personal preference. Others might find rooms that appeal to me to be too austere.

• ellendi
    10 years ago

Design is a part of it, but i think how you live in your house is a bigger part.
    One of my pet peeves is having to take off my shoes in someone else's home. I love being barefoot in my own home, but I feel uncomfortable doing this for someone else. It just does not feel welcoming.
    Being relaxed about letting friends bring food and drinks in the living room.
    Friends decorated their country home's living room in high end furniture in white's and light pink. I looked and said
    "wow". They both felt that they were going to treat this furniture as if it was inexpensive. Just enjoy and use it!

• Related Discussions

Arizona & A Wonderful Welcome Home!

Q

Comments (11)
    Deanne...you are such a sweetheart...Thank you! I really do love spring *and* tulips...maybe I should move to Holland...LOL! You cracked me up about the goldfish...I didn't even notice that, but it really is rather clever...isn't it? LOL! Wish I could take credit for it. Maybe I should build on that idea though and add some other orange flowers to the bed! :-) I didn't see the hummingbird aviary...I'm going to have to ask Anita about that. We did see lots of hummingbirds though, both at the DBG and at Anita's house too. Was it you or was it Babs who had that great photo op of a hummingbird last year? I tried to take their pics, but in all my photos they were either too far away to notice, moved to fast, or the pics came out blurry. I am definitely *not* a photographer, but I really do enjoy having the camera, it has made gardening so much easier for me. Yes Michelle, I am fascinated with nature in Arizona it is *so* different than here. Still, while I think it is very beautiful, I don't think I could live there. I'm too fond of the four seasons (well, maybe not so crazy about winter) and what would I do without tulips!?! Paul has talked about moving there though, but the only thing that would even make me consider it is the fact that Anita is there. Thanks Marian...you are so sweet and so kind and encouraging. I wish you could meet Anita, I know you would like her right off. Ei
    ...See More

Welcome Home a Hero DFW

Q

Comments (6)
    I'd be with the 7yr old and I hate crying in public. I'd go anyway. No pics allowed!! I read this while checking up on this link with snopes. Check it out! It's a true story I checked! LOL! Weary Travelers Support Operation Iraqi Freedom Troops at BWI By Donna Miles American Forces Press Service WASHINGTON, Oct. 31, 2003 Nearly everyone has experienced it at one time or another: an airport bogged down by bad weather, delayed and cancelled flights, and cranky, overtired travelers wanting nothing more than to get to their destinations. That's exactly what Will Ross, an administrative judge for the Defense Department's Office of Hearings and Appeals in Los Angeles, encountered Oct. 27 at Baltimore/Washington International Airport. But what he witnessed that day, he said, "made me proud to be an American, and also told me why we will win this war (on terrorism)." Like many of his fellow passengers, Ross had been forced to spend the night in Baltimore. His outbound flight, scheduled for the night before, had been cancelled due to the California wildfires. They had forced the Los Angeles International Airport to close, and the ripple effect drove domestic travel nationwide into a tailspin. When Ross reported to the United Airlines counter the following morning for the next scheduled flight to Los Angeles, bad weather and aircraft mechanical problems made the prospect of a timely trip even more grim. As he waited in the terminal, Ross noticed many soldiers in their desert camouflage uniforms, newly arrived from Southwest Asia. All, like Ross and the other passengers at the airport, were awaiting connecting flights but in the soldiers' case, it was to begin two weeks of rest and recuperation leave. Flight delays continued and the airport had become, in Ross's words, "a zoo." By the afternoon, one flight to Denver had been delayed several hours. United Airlines agents kept asking for volunteers to give up their seats and take another flight, but Ross said they weren't getting many takers. Finally, Ross said a United Airlines spokeswoman got on the public address system and made a desperate plea. "Folks, as you can see, there are a lot of soldiers in the waiting area," the agent said. "They only have 14 days of leave and we're trying to get them where they need to go without spending any more time in an airport than they have to. "We sold them all tickets knowing we would oversell the flight. If we can, we want to get them all on this flight. We want all the soldiers to know we respect what you're doing, we are here for you and we love you," the agent continued. "The entire terminal of cranky, tired, travel-weary people -- a cross-section of America -- broke into sustained and heartfelt applause," Ross said. "We're talking about several hundred people applauding, a whole terminal. "The soldiers looked surprised and very modest," he continued. "Most of them just looked at their boots." Many of the travelers in the terminal wiped away tears. "And, yes," Ross said, "people lined up to take the later flight and all the soldiers went to Denver on that flight." Ross said he figured that 30 or 40 people had suddenly jumped at the chance to offer their seats to U.S. soldiers. That moment, he said, reinforced his patriotism and his heartfelt belief that the United States will prevail in the war on terror. "I think people realized that this fight is going to be long and drawn-out, and these kids are in the thick of it," he said. "It was heartwarming to see their outpouring of support."
    ...See More

What makes a room inviting/cozy/comfortable, even if contemporary

Q

Comments (15)
    Wow! What a wonderful collection of suggestions :) Lynn, what a unique and beautiful troweled hood, and the painting really makes it 'yours', so kudos. I am looking at the 3M page right now. Aboth, I'm planning to give away an old non-descript cabinet and replace it with an antique wood bookcase that should indeed ground the room some more. Leafy02, my walls are a warm creamy off-white (Benjamin Moore's Vanilla Ice Cream) which is somewhat boring but actually works well - I don't want a 'color' per se, and I want to keep the walls light and bright, plus the creamy white enables me to add other elements and colors without much color competition... Lincac, an after midnight dinner for 70 to 80 people, are you serious? You are one brave cookie! Your suggestion to use lamps in lieu of overhead lights is right on, it's exactly what I need... I do have 4 huge halogen sconces across the length of the mirrored wall, and 3 pretty white pendant lamps over the yellow Corian countertop, and not one lamp! Are floor lamps a good choice do you think, or are table lamps a better choice? I ask because I don't have much in the way of side tables... I'd love to post some pics but I'm embarrassed to right now because my upstairs is under renovation and everything from upstairs is downstairs in the living room, cluttering up the space. Hope to be able to post pix soon though, and also to start living my life again, lol. This reno has been going on for months...many glitches, do-overs, and delays have bogged it down.
    ...See More

What does it take for you to be comfortable and welcome?

Q

Comments (30)
    This just happened; DH had a coworker he hadn't seen in 26 years contact us and want to see us, they did not part on good terms. He drove 2 hrs to see DH and grilled him with questions: Did either of us have health problems? Gained weight? Financial situation? I see you still have hair.... He was here 2 1/2 hours....we NEVER asked him to sit down, he stood the entire time and seemed "comfortable".... grilling us.....asking US questions. :0) As long as WE seemed friendly and didn't ask him to leave....he was comfortable. So friendliness makes a person feel welcome & comfortable.
    ...See More
  • joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

Some people just have a knack for mixing different styles, patterns, accessories to create that wonderful, homey eclectic look. I'm not one of those people. My stuff DOES look like it came from the same store. I go to antique shops/boutiques looking for those unique items, but just get overwhelmed and never buy anything. And I never quite get around to finishing a room..I.e. I pick out new bedding, get the room painted, then get stalled with lamps, art, etc....I think I have a decent eye for the big stuff, but not the details, yet I AM detail oriented at work and picky about the smallest thing that doesn't look right.

• jane__ny
    10 years ago

I think its a 'lived in look.' Everything looks used, magazines, books on the coffee table, pillows crushed, cups on the counters, etc. A feeling that you can walk in and sit down without disturbing anything. I have been in houses where I feel so uncomfortable because everything is perfect, nothing out of place. I don't like that type of feel to a house. I'm afraid to put my pocket book down that I will disturb the perfection.

I do prefer contemporary styling and have always lived in that type of home, but we also use our house and I like lots of pillows, plants and books. I think my style is clean but lived in.

Jane

• anele_gw
    10 years ago

I have wondered this for years. Really. Since I was about 8 or 9, I think, I have tried to make my environment cozy. It is the driving force behind my decorating, in fact. I admire beautiful spaces, but I covet the cozy ones. My monicker elsewhere has the word "cozy" in it.

My mother has a dear friend who always had a knack for "cozy." I would study what she did. She had a collection of artwork that was interesting and I always liked to look at it. Her dining set (rattan) was so comfy, so we would linger after a meal. Her cat would sit underneath the glass during meals. :) She was a social worker, so everything was done on a budget (and before craigslist!). She also changed apts. frequently, and always made sure she picked ones that would suit her welcoming style.

I remember some of her textiles-- a quilt in her entryway, a framed Hmong piece she bought at a craft fair, another old quilt on her bed . . .she also used scented candles for lighting. We never did that at my house! Everything was comfy. I loved sitting in her papasan chair. In fact, I was looking up used ones last night, to see if I could try to recapture that feeling of being in her home!

Sadly, about 18 years ago, she started to lose her sight. It's gotten progressively worse and she is legally blind. She has a truly amazing sense of style. Even when she had very limited sight, she took up beading and made me wonderful jewelry.

I was just talking to my mom last night about her, wondering if she wouldn't mind me picking her brain to come up with the answer to this exact question!

I feel like life has been very cruel, to take her sight. So cruel.

• User
    10 years ago

Wearing shoes in the house is that a regional thing? No one around here wears shoes in the house or doctors office or medical clinic big signs everywhere. We have 8 months of winter I wonder if that is the difference or is it a Canada thing. Here it would imply a lack of respect for the home owner. I have friends who have messy houses and spotless houses feel equally welcome in both. I get nervous at my friend with the perfect designer house that I might spill or wreck something (I am clutzy) It is definitely me though she is very welcoming and not concerned about stuff. Don't do white carpet it is very scary to me says perfect people only.

• User
    10 years ago

"Cozy" is in the eye of the beholder. It isn't cozy to me to go into a home in which every.single.wall or table is crammed with varieties of decor items. I don't care how unique or attractive the individual items are or whether they are personal (family photos), antiques collected or items mass produced. The conglomeration makes me nervous and twitchy. My feeling though has nothing to do with whether I feel welcome in someone's home.

• Elraes Miller
    10 years ago

Cl...wearing shoes in the house. For us it is a family thing and sometimes visitors do the same. Not because my house is perfect, but I think comfortable and taking shoes off is the thing to do for comfortable. Visitors seem to follow fairly quickly when visiting. And I have no problem with someone kicking up their feet on the coffee table/chair/couch. I love that they can feel comfortable.

I'm not sure what makes my home comfortable, but it makes me feel great that all can come in and be themselves. It is clean/organized and love decorating, perhaps due to a mix of rustic, but not overboard. Perhaps it is the owner themselves, I would not get upset is someone were to nick a corner baseboard or even spill something. Easy to renew, clean up and visitors are always open to making amends by helping.

Anele, my daughter has been legally blind since birth. She has the neatest cottage and loved items all around. Told me one day she has always loved knowing there was something unique in a corner of mom's house (me) to peruse. Her furniture and kitchen is always in the same place, but adds various decor which has special meaning to her and works really well together.
    Her most difficult task is dust on floors and furniture because she cannot see this. Wiping her hands quickly on a counter or table tells her where a cleaning is needed after daily use or company. But has a ton of friends over the years who head to her house often. Even if a party is going on, they may just dust something out of the blue or one will suggest coming back to help with the floors. She welcomes this and the activity always seems to turn into a BBQ or take out party.

I suspect your friend will continue to have a special home to visit. Even though my dd has had visual limits for far longer, the visually impaired find a way to maintain their inner visions and create the dreams in the mind. For now your friend needs support and part of this may be interacting about all her wonderful decor and if she is limited to continue,a way to help her maintain her home which will also give her the needed options to do so.

As an added love to my daughter, she has worked at the school for Deaf/Blind for 25 years. Transitions teens into living on their own, learning daily routines, shopping, etc. I have always wanted her to write a book of skills for the blind/legally blind, plus she has a wonderful sense of humor to get through all. A lot of hiccups in their day are usually the same as ours in many ways. In this day and age of electronics, she still has to get them up and going to live life fully. These are teens attached to cell phone aps/computer stuff as any teen is. Although, the electronic age has also brought so much to them too with talking everything, special tools, etc. Which at my age I wouldn't hesitate to use.

• crl_
    10 years ago

I think some basics of a welcoming house are comfortable furniture to sit on with handy places to set drinks and books, adequate lighting in the right places, a certain amount of orderliness--not perfectly ruler straight arrangements but adequate space to move around and not overly cluttered, a neutral or pleasant scent, and a welcoming host.

I do think certain styles lend themselves more to being welcoming, ie eclectic, country, cottage, traditional, but that may be more a matter of subjective taste. I just think modern is sometimes a bit too stark to be welcoming.

• anele_gw
    10 years ago

Technicolor, thank you for sharing your story of your daughter. She sounds like the kind of person I would want as a friend.

Yes, my friend did continue to keep going with her love for creativity in many ways for a long time . . .while things like not being able to drive were immediate, she had enough sight to see/do certain things. However, as I said, 18 years (at least) have passed since then, and her sight continues to diminish. She had to let go of many of her interests, including ones she started as someone who was legally blind. She moved out of state because there were not enough services for her here, so I have not seen her new home, but she tells me it is all about being practical now. She got rid of most things because she simply can't see them or maintain them. It's really hard for her to do any basic cleaning.

She is still very active, though. She was the head of an organization in her area, takes a lot of trips, etc. She has moved a lot in her life, so even though she has no family now, she has the ability to make good friends wherever she goes.

• madeyna
    10 years ago

I have a friend who has a picture perfect house that will never be a home. Nothing feels lived in. You wouldn,t dare set down a drink or your purse. The house is beatiful but has crossed the line to a little to staged. I think the trick is to have the nice things that appeal to you but not so perfectly set that your afraid to disturb anything. If you have a coffee table then make sure the decor on it isn,t so delicate perfectly set or overdone that it makes it a difficult place to set anything else like a purse or book or heaven forbid a coffee cup on. Every single surface in that house is staged right down to the shoe shelve at the back door. Even she doesn,t live comfortably in that house. I know she sleeps in a recliner most nights so she doesn,t have to desturb her perfect bed. She doen,st use her master bathroom very often for the same reason.

• nancybee_2010
    10 years ago

technicolor, I enjoyed reading about your daughter. She sounds like a lovely person!

anele, so sad about your friend. You are right, life can be so cruel. But it sounds like she is a survivor!

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

CL--I had never heard of removing shoes when entering someone's home (except for Asian countries). I grew up in California and have lived in the DC area since the 70's. The first time I encountered this was an aquaintance I knew through the sport our daughters particpated in. She had a shelf in her garage next to the door for shoes and we were told to take our shoes off because she wanted to protect her carpet. I stayed in the kitchen the whole time on the tile floor.

• luckygal
    10 years ago

I have a theory that welcoming people have welcoming homes. They value people more than possessions so are relaxed about their decor. If a home owner is overly concerned about people breaking things or spilling things it comes across to visitors and it's difficult to feel welcome. I think the perfectionist personality can have difficulties with this.

There are physical things one can do to make a home more welcoming but since everyone has different ideas of decor one cannot expect to please everyone. For me warm colors and an informal decor style are more welcoming but others may not agree. Some of the most welcoming homes I've visited are not what I would even call 'decorated'. They are just well-loved homes that are comfortable. I think if people decorate their home to suit themselves and not some preconceived idea of what is trendy or 'correct' a home is more likely to be welcoming as it will be comfortable to live in as well as visit. I am concerned about the amount of angst many seem to have about choosing decor items. Really, there are not decor police and no one who criticizes your choices matters. Even when DH was mil. and we had to conform to a perceived standard of living I never felt the degree of concern with making decor choices that many now do.

The shoes on/shoes off thing must be regional. Around here most people take their shoes off altho I always tell visitors they can leave them on - I have all hard floors in the public areas which are easy to clean so unless people have just walked in the pasture to pet the horses it's not a big deal!

• User
    10 years ago

Pac NW -- Shoes on or off depends on the home and homeowner. Most people aren't blunt enough to require it, but I think it is polite to take them off when going in someone's home either way. The majority of my friends/family take their shoes off in the entry of their own homes.

"I am not much into a lot of personal items or pictures in the main areas. It is personal preference but I find too many different items in a room almost unsettling"

I agree with this. If a home is cluttered with decor or just unnecessary stuff, it makes me feel uncomfortable. I feel more peaceful or at ease in clean, uncluttered spaces. My house is on the everything-is-perfect side, but that is what makes me feel comfortable.

Also, if homes/businesses are very dusty or obviously dirty, it's hard for me to feel comfortable. That might be because I have allergies, but I also don't like the idea that I am getting dirty.

Lastly, if a home has a comfortable place to sit or relax, I tend to find that home appealing. I don't mind decor unlike my own as long as there is a nice place to relax. :)

• User
    10 years ago

As others have said, I think it has much more to do with the homeowner than the decor. If the homeowner is welcoming, you will feel welcome. If they are not, and you get the feeling they'd rather you leave, then you won't. The decor will not matter.

For me, the only time I am uncomfortable in a home where the homeowner is welcoming is when it's flat our dirty. I don't mean messy, I mean dirt. Dirty glasses, dirty kitchen table that hasn't been cleaned in years, etc. Then I have a hard time being comfortable no matter how welcoming the homeowner. Stuff everywhere, but things aren't filthy -- I wonder how people can live that way because it would make me twitchy in my own home, but it's not my house so I don't care.

The public areas of my house are always very clean and neat. But, when we have parties/guests/holidays here, nobody feels like they cannot touch anything. The place is a mess when people leave! That's ok. They had fun. I had fun. And I clean it from top to bottom when they leave before I got to bed. People think I'm nuts -- they've caught me vacuuming or mopping if they come back for something they forgot --- but it's just the way I am. Makes me happy, so everyone is happy :-)

We are a shoes off house. We always remove our shoes as soon as we enter the house. We're just more comfortable that way and I don't see the point of dragging dirt/pesticides, etc into my house every day (yes, I am somewhat of a clean freak). But, I do not insist guests do. Some just remove without asking. Others ask and I always tell them whatever they are comfortable with is fine with me.

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

" Shoes on or off depends on the home and homeowner. Most people aren't blunt enough to require it, but I think it is polite to take them off when going in someone's home either way."

This must definitely be a regional thing, because it would never even occur to me to walk into someone's house and kick my shoes off...in fact, I think where I live (DC area) it would be considered rude and inappropriate to do so. Pretty interesting these little differences from place to place.

• ellendi
    10 years ago

I am most interested in what CL said about it being required to take your shoes off in a public place like a doctor's office. Interesting.
    If I am dressed up for a party, shoes are an important part of your overall look. I wouldn't want to walk around barefoot.
    So, for those who have shoes off policy, if you are having a formal party where people would dress up, they would still have to take off their shoes?

• anele_gw
    10 years ago

We take our shoes off but don't expect others to.

I haven't watched too many episodes of Sex in the City (I want to!), but one episode was about Carrie going to a friend's party, and people were REQUIRED to remove their shoes. Not only was she uncomfortable with her appearance, but her expensive shoes were stolen. Ack!

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

My home will never be accused of looking staged. I love a cozy elegance if that makes sense. During my kitchen reno I purchased two crystal pendants and a crystal chandie. I was adjusting a crystal and it fell onto the granite. It seemed to drop in slow motion and I kept thinking oh please don't break! Well, of course it broke and I felt liking crying for all of half a minute and then I thought it was just my new pendant's way of fitting in with the rest of our cozy yet totally imperfect home.

My plumber and hubby did some damage to my new wood floors when they installed the fridge and dishwasher. When I first saw it I could have throttled the pair of them. Now I look at those dings and think it adds character to the floor. Actually for someone else they may not even notice. My new kitchen is becoming part of my well used and well loved home.

I hope that everyone who visits with us feels relaxed, at home, and know that their visits are cherished.

• Sueb20
    10 years ago

My immediate family doesn't wear shoes in our house. They take them off at the back door and shoes go in the mudroom closet. The kids' friends usually take their shoes off, I assume because they see my kids take theirs off, but no one tells them to. Most of my friends kick their shoes off at the door if they're just popping in to chat or whatever -- I am thinking mostly of a couple of close friends who also don't wear shoes in their own homes. But if we're "entertaining" -- having people over for dinner or a party -- I certainly don't expect people to take off their shoes. We have had instances where people have come over in the middle of a snow storm or something, and then of course they leave their boots at the door.

To me, a welcoming home is neither too neat/clean nor too messy/dirty! I know someone whose house is such a mess, you walk in the front door and you can barely get through the foyer because it's full of shoes, dog toys, etc. That doesn't give me a welcoming feeling. But if a house is so neat that it looks like a furniture showroom, I don't find that comfortable either.

Some things I think are welcoming:
    - an attractive entry
    - comfortable seating that actually has space for my butt -- you know how people have sofas crammed with 15 pillows and you can't figure out where you might fit in?
    - a table that might have stuff on it, but there's still room to set a drink down. And last night's dinner dishes aren't on it.
    - maybe music playing, but not so loud that you can't talk.
    - a host/ess who is calm and welcoming, obviously.

I don't know too many people who don't have welcoming homes, come to think of it. There are some that are more welcoming than others. I do have one friend whose husband doesn't like having people over, and I know from what the friend has told me that he is freaking out inside thinking that people might spill drinks or food on the rugs or furniture, so knowing that makes me tense when I'm there. I'm so afraid I'll be the one to spill something! But needless to say, since he doesn't like company, I'm not there very often.

• Jamie
    10 years ago

I love layered textures and personal touches in the homes I visit. When it comes to being in my home, though, I don't like to have tablescapes to arrange, lots of things to dust and clean and move around for cleaning, and I am particularly burdened by trying to protect things from breakage. Much as I might like to have all the layers, my inner cleaning woman won't let me relax in such a place if it is mine. The voice of stewardship just never stops calling out to me, and it isn't soothing.

It might be different if I had a huge space, but if there is anything on the countertops or the tables, it consumes the space I want to use for coffee cup, glasses, reading material, purse or you-name-it. Same with the bathroom vanity tops.

• violetwest
    10 years ago

--not too "decorated" or matchy, but instead showing off the owner's personality and collected items

--soft and varied lighting, especially at night

--not too neat, or precious -- a bit lived in, and giving the impression the owner won't faint if you sit on the couch or leave a magazine on the coffee table

--a well used and loved kitchen

• busybee3
    10 years ago

i rarely wear shoes in the house, but that's just because i am most comfortable barefooted-always have been--- but if we have a party or get together, i always wear shoes!!! i would feel silly to be barefooted at my own party!! however, if i went to a dinner party and the host asked me to remove my shoes, i wouldn't be offended-but it also has never happened!
    but, after somewhat recently having our hardwood floors significantly dented by someone wearing spiky high heels to a party, i think i will ask someone with that type of shoe to remove them in the future...

i also don't think there's one definition for a cozy, comfy home... a person's definition of comfort probably starts to develop very early in childhood!!

i personally think a dimmer room is more cozy rather than a well lit one- we have lots of lights on dimmers! however, my husband certainly is more comfortable in a well lit room!
    i don't mind alittle clutter, he's most comfortable without any.
    i think darker colors overall tend to be cozier, but lots of people prefer lighter...
    i think a less formal room overall is cozier, but i love to have some formal touches!
    i think lit candles &/or a lit fireplace is very cozy!!!

• violetwest
    10 years ago

re: shoes -- I personally never wear shoes at all if I can help it!

but many people in my area, including my daughter and her family, remove their shoes before entering, and expect all guests to do the same. The idea is to avoid tracking bacteria and environmental pollutants into the home.

• rosie
    10 years ago

Most everything has been hit one way or the other. We just gained some lovely new neighbors who make everyone feel welcome and at home before they even get inside; actually, before they're even introduced. If I could buy what they had, I'd take out a mortgage and go get it.

That said, I can think of something physical one can add because a thread the other day made me think of it: Not everyone finds the typical furniture sold today comfortable.

It may mess up a preferred look and require moving to a different style, but providing seating sized for shorter people, good lumbar support for people with bad backs, shallow firm seating for people who have trouble getting out of chairs, and so on, even a pull-out stool for someone who needs to elevate a foot or feet, goes straight to the essence of making a home "comfortable." Not only because of the physical factor, but because it arises from genuine thoughtfulness and generosity.

We're not talking just about grandma here. People of all ages can have issues they never mention before they take their leave earlier than they'd otherwise wish.

• User
    10 years ago

Most of us don't wear shoes in the house but all our shoes live in the closets of their owners. Our floors are not so precious (at one end of the spectrum) or poor quality/ easily damaged (at the other end) that we're loath to subject them to shoes unless they have mud clinging to them. We neither ask nor encourage guests to remove their shoes. I don't know that I want that degree of familiarity with other people's feet.

"She had a shelf in her garage next to the door for shoes and we were told to take our shoes off because she wanted to protect her carpet. I stayed in the kitchen the whole time on the tile floor."

I'm sorry, but that is completely bourgeois.

Edited to add: her comment, not your staying in the kitchen!

This post was edited by kswl on Fri, Jul 12, 13 at 17:49

• alex9179
    10 years ago

Rosie, you'd like the seating in my living room :) A large, deep couch for tall people or those who like to snuggle into it, a medium sized arm chair with a cushy seat and firm back, two smaller scale arm chairs that are quite firm, and DH's leather chair & ottoman that can accommodate a variety of people.
    I like a little tableau on my large side tables, but there needs to be plenty of room left for a drink. The small tables are left clear. Everyone has a surface available.

I like to see things that look collected over time and furniture arranged for conversation. That's homey to me.

• User
    10 years ago

About shoes in public places here some Dr offices provide little booties to put over your shoes. All schools(elementary) require children to have indoor shoes to change into when they enter the building. We have snow 7-8 months a year so I am sure that plays into it.

• User
    10 years ago

I understand that in inclement weather it's advisable to remove one's shoes so the melting snow doesn't cause a slip hazard. But---- whatever happened to galoshes?

• anele_gw
    10 years ago

Rosie, re: " We just gained some lovely new neighbors who make everyone feel welcome and at home before they even get inside; actually, before they're even introduced. "

HOW?

Are they just very laid-back people? I think that is my problem.

• violetwest
    10 years ago

after thinking about this a bit, I have a couple more things to add to the list, especially in terms of entering into someone else's home. Only the first is really in the decorating category, tho':

--An appealing place to sit near the front door; or, if you like, a "transitional" space into public areas of the house. I'm thinking of a casual visitor, and it doesn't have to be as formal as a parlour or living room; maybe just a chair and a place to put a coat

--no strong odors. People get used to their own home's scent, but strong smoke, cooking, or pet odors are not welcoming!

--intrusive or scary (to the visitor) pets

• stolenidentity
    10 years ago

To answer the question: "What makes a home comfortable and welcoming?"

I think it is the people...plain and simple.

• rosie
    10 years ago

Alex, I would. As a Mama Bear I'd probably choose the medium armchair at first, but once we were friends I'd be snuggling into a corner of that great couch. My problem with them at 5'2" is that social conventions don't usually allow me to make to most of what they offer me.

Anele, outgoing, warm, generous, accepting, and charming, and yes, laid back--so that a wave of this stuff doesn't scare you right off. :)

The shoe thing? This touchy shoes-floating-on-deep-waters discussion pops up now and then, with the same suppressed emotion it raises in some, and can be explored far more freely in a number of other forums by those so inclined. In fact, there's a Hot Topics forum right here at GardenWeb.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hot Topics

• Oakley
    10 years ago

I'm not saying this to brag because it really happened last Sunday when someone came over who's never been to my house before.

She walked in the living room and said, "Your house is gorgeous! It's so cozy!" Although I have to admit, it made me smile inside. :)

Aesthetically, it's lovely. However - I don't get that "homey/ cozy/comfortable" feeling when I am there.

What I liked the best about the lady's remark is that she added "cozy" to her statement.

I've been in beautiful homes that aren't cozy to me. Feeling a home is cozy is very subjective to each individual.

One thing that really stands out to me, is I can tell someone used an Interior Decorator for the whole house, or all the public rooms. That takes away the person's individuality for me. I *Know* someone else decorated it.

Everything is just a bit too pefect, from fabric on seating to tables that are perfectly arranged. Even white slip covers are a big turnoff for me. Instead of feeling cozy while sitting on a slip covered sofa, I feel nervous because I know I'll get it dirty. lol.

OTOH, I wouldn't mind having an I.D. come over and give me a few tips, but not on everything. I need my personality to shine, not someone else's.

ETA: I do decorate with warm colors, mostly jewel tones and I think they make a world of difference. Even though I use a lot of Christmas colors, my house doesn't feel like Christmas. But they give off the same cozy vibe we get at Christmastime.

This post was edited by oakleyok on Sat, Jul 13, 13 at 15:56

• patty_cakes
    10 years ago

A warm hug or friendly handshake, and 'wearing' a big smile, always make me feel the most welcome! Of course the less clutter the better, too. Furnishings help, but need to be comfy as well as pleasing to look at(no dog eared sofa cushions!)and don't have to be brand new. Thread bare is not necessarily shabby chic either.

• jterrilynn
    10 years ago

My favorite for welcoming cozy homes are those that are uncluttered but do have travel conversation pieces with stories, nice art work, dogs, comfortable seating, good wine and surfaces I can sit my glass on with no worries. My least favorite are homes where everything matches, white or light upholstered seating, wall to wall carpeting, hosts that brag and glaring lighting.

• antmaril
    10 years ago

I have a friend whose house should feel homey, but doesn't. While her style doesn't appeal to me, it really isn't that. It is too neat. There is no evidence of a human being living there. Not a magazine or a piece of mail. If she has friends for lunch, there is no evidence that she has cooked anything (which she has) and she has an eat-in kitchen. It is just too perfect. If you come to my house for lunch (also an eat-in kitchen) you will know that I have been cooking. :-). In addition, you will see mail on the counter and evidence that the home is occupied. It is neat and clean, but not to excess. I think that makes a house feel welcoming and homey to guests. I want you to come in and make yourself at home.

• peegee
    10 years ago

I wish I could remember where about 6 months ago - was it on PBS? -there was a doctor(s) advocating for not allowing outdoor shoes in the home as they have been walking over who knows what and then track, spread environmental toxins/pollutants/pesticides etc. all over the home...contaminants can become airborne and affect air quality, especially impacting those with allergies ...toddler's crawl around then put fingers in mouth, kids play on the floor with their toys...it was really interesting, and I wish I knew what show it was.
    What is not welcoming? When someone keeps apologizing for their home's appearance (especially when 'perfect'!); when there is an abundance of animal hair on every seat, when there is no place to set down a drink/plate, no TP in the bathroom! Not having comfy places to sit. Lighting too dim, or, stark center-ceiling overhead lighting (not talking about recessed!) Being too cluttered or too sterile. An absence of any indication of the owner's interests as if being in a motel room.

• User
    10 years ago

Peegee, there is also a school of thought that holds a different opinion--- that we are so intent on removing every germ possible from our environments that our children are not developing the immunities that will protect them.

Here is a link that might be useful: How Babies Develop immunities

This post was edited by kswl on Sun, Jul 14, 13 at 8:49

• roarah
    10 years ago

KSWL, i was just going to post that same link! Leukemia and childhood allergies are being linked to over sterile envirnoments. Children play outside in dirt all the time and since the beginning of time so a bit of transfer should not be the end of the world. I actually skeeve the idea of other people's bare feet and possible fungi much more than I worry about mud.....

• violetwest
    10 years ago

I'd be more worried about things like arsenic, which is present in our soils where I live.

• roarah
    10 years ago

Arsenic is found in apples too it is a natural thing and in small levels harmless.

• peegee
    10 years ago

Thanks for the link-will check it out. I have actually for years/decades believed there is some value in not over-sterilizing the experience of small children... playing in dirt is good. Playing in dirt with pesticides, or other toxins, NOT good. There is plenty of exposure to pollutants just in breathing the air outdoors, in many cases. And inorganic arsenic is a known carcinogen that over time can cause cancers including bladder cancer and potentially various other maladies, including diabetes 2- which is why the FDA is or has set new reduced guidelines.

• rosie
    10 years ago

I believe those who argue for the value of exposing children to local pathogens, and getting vaccinations. However, on a planet where millions of people move across oceans and continents each day, usually from one giant population concentration to another, the same for animals, organic goods, etc., there's a lot more to concern oneself with than local bugs. We've never been in a situation remotely like this before.

If we do not see a major tragic pandemic, with at least hundreds of thousands of deaths and serious collapse of local and even regional support structures, within the next decade or two, it will be a true miracle. Note that pandemics are actually pretty common. That it's been several decades since a major killer got loose should not be comforting. As we speak here, pathogens are morphing into new forms and health agencies at various spots on the planet are attempting to keep the newest something potentially truly dreadful caged.

Being scared just enough to do some sensible family control would be a good thing. My son's work takes him into many nursing homes, hospitals and schools, all major vector crossroads. He tells me he washes his hands good just before he leaves the facilities, but does he always and good enough? He goes home to two small children.

With this turn in conversation, I suggest stocking enough aspirin and other NSAIDs, decongestants, antidiarrheals and so on to care for everyone who might take shelter in a home as aids to comfort at least. :)

• ogrose_tx
    10 years ago

I do a lot of work out in the yard, and take my clogs off when I come in just to keep grass, etc. from getting on the floors, plus it's more comfortable to me. I wear socks with them, it's a beautiful sight. Plus, don't have to sweep as often! My DH, on the other hand, wears shoes all the time, doesn't worry about tracking stuff in, lol!

Our neighbors across the court are from Vietnam, they all take their shoes off, I believe it is a cultural thing; they assure us not to worry about doing that, and I always feel very welcome there.

I think everyone has added great comments; clean, not cluttered and not too formal, comfortable furniture, etc. (I don't much like the interior decorator look, either), but sure do spend a lot of time on these forums looking at styles!