SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
flying_c

Critique my laundry/mudroom plan?

flying_c
10 years ago

Hello everyone! I've been an on-again, off-again lurker for a couple of years, now hoping to get some advice turning our mostly unfinished basement laundry room into a laundry/mudroom.

Some background about the house: we're a family of four (2 adults, 2 young children) living in a 1350 sq ft cape. The house is built on a slope, so there's a partial daylight basement and a one-car garage under the house. We use the garage for storage, not parking. The room I'm dealing with is directly adjacent to the garage. Right now it's got just our washing machine, dryer, and an old double laundry sink which is either concrete or soapstone. The house has no real mudroom, so all our stuff is heaped in the kitchen near the back door, which I am thoroughly sick of.

So, the plan is to give the laundry room mudroom functionality and force ourselves to enter through the garage all the time. I also hope to have enough counter space for potting and seed starting. And of course, storage for all things laundry.

We're hoping to do this somewhat economically. The room is already drywalled, though most of the pipes are still exposed and the floor isn't finished. We don't want to move utilities much, so the sink, washer, and dryer locations are pretty fixed. We're planning to use IKEA cabinets.

Here's a drawing of the space:

And here's a plan I've come up with:

There would be a bench and cubbies/hooks on the bottom wall in the plan. The sink is a placeholder - we haven't decided whether to try and save the current sink (a beast to move and we'd need a new base built for it), get a wall-mount sink, or do the setup shown here.

The short section of counter in the upper right corner is also an approximation. We'd like to put a sort of freestanding peninsula there, topped with the same counter material (likely laminate), but removable to access the plumbing if needed.

I've played around a lot, and I keep coming back to this plan. However, I feel like it shortchanges the mudroom aspect. We don't anticipate storing out-of-season items down there, but we do want enough space for everything we use daily in a New England winter: bulky coats, snowpants for the kids, boots and shoes, scarves, hats and mittens, and as well as our bags and backpacks. So, a lot of stuff! I'm not sure one wall will accommodate all that.

Anyhow, I would really appreciate any comments on this plan, positive or negative. Thanks!!

Comments (7)