SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ayerg73_gw

Custom cabinet question - a little long winded...

ayerg73
12 years ago

I've had a follow up meeting with the KD that sells Mouser (she's been wonderful, but the prices are up there for my budget) and just met with a custom Mennonite builder that my GC highly recommends.

I've heard such mixed reviews about going with a custom builder, so I've been leaning towards manufactured. This week I've asked for modified drawings and prices from the KD and the custom guy.

The Mouser meeting went something like this..."Listen, Dear KP, I think you're great and the cabinets are wonderful quality, but I can't see dropping $32,000 for simple shaker cabinets. I've gotten two quotes from other people and you are definitely high. You've got to help me get the price down." She is working on it for me, dropping the plan into Mouser's new "cheaper" line - Centura. I saw the cabinets today. They are good quality. My only concern is that the drawer rails are fastened in the back with plastic instead of metal. She told me that I can opt for the more expensive cabs for my pots and pans drawers (my only really concern) and I am ok with that.

The custom guy gave me a quote of MUCH less than that based on my GCs information and basic measurements before I had the chance to meet with him today. The price also included building a custom window seat in my bay window and new cabinets in my laundry room that the KP never added to the plans. The price also includes the top of the line Blum hardware for the doors and drawers, all wood construction and maple drawers.

I was able to see a kitchen that the custom guy did today (without Blum option). Basically what we were looking at - white cabs (although he glazed, I don't plan to) and cherry island. The quality of the cabinets was VERY good, IMHO. Beautiful detail, sturdy construction...my biggest concern is that the glaze finish looked splotchy and, well, dirty. Since I'm not a fan of the glaze, that shouldn't bother me, but I wonder if it speaks of the quality of his painted finishes. Am I wrong to be concerned about that? Or, will that problem likely be solved with no glaze?

And, I asked about a 'warranty'. His eyes kind of glazed over and said "Well, if there's something wrong I fix it. I guess that's your warranty." I love the honesty of his answer, but, not the vagueness of it. Is that normal when dealing with a custom builder? He said that if something goes wrong, it's usually going to be in the first year or two and he will fix any issues. He pretty much said he wouldn't fix anything after 5 years or so. Mouser offers a limited lifetime warranty. (limited is a strong word, isn't it?) Is that worth paying an extra $10,000 for?

Thanks for the honest feedback. You guys are doing an excellent job of keeping me sane!

Comments (12)