SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lilysuzanne40

Happy day ... Reconciled with my dad

lilysuzanne40
17 years ago

Afer nearly 5 years of silence, my dad has finally broken free of my stepmother and has reached out to me and my sisters. I can't tell you how happy I am.

The reason I am posting this is to serve as a warning to women who resent their stepchildren and try to minimize their husband's time with his children. My dad is a wonderful man who believes in the vows of marriage. He still loves this woman but he is tired of her making him choose between her and his family. He is tired of her hysterics, jealousy and controlling ways.

He has told me that if she throws a fit about him seeing us (without her having to be there) he will divorce her. In his words, "I gave you all up once. I'm NOT going to do it again. She can either get used to it or get gone."

This all goes back to my original post years ago, "If I could tell stepmothers of adult children anything." No. 7 was "If you're so insecure and certain that his children can "make" him stop loving you, you're wrong. They can't, but you can if you exhibit mean, self-centered, spiteful, jealous or controlling behavior."

It took nearly five years of silence and pain, but she has managed to make him angry enough to declare his independence ... and she is now in danger of losing her marriage. For no reason.

Please, please, please ... do not force your spouse to choose between his children and you. You may win in the short run, but you will sow seeds of resentment and bitterness that will destroy our marriage.

Comments (4)