SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
purrparlor

Bedroom transformation done, need accessories

annkathryn
12 years ago

I'm gearing up to put my house on the market and am trying to stage the rooms as inexpensively as possible. I'm hoping to not paint this room, but to instead use nice fabrics to take the eye away from the bright wall colors. I sewed a duvet cover, two shams, two pillowcases and a throw pillow this week. I need help with lamps and something on the wall, plus advice on how to use the pillows.

Here's the before:

I moved the dresser (it's 6 drawers) to the wall opposite the bed. It has a coordinating mirror that I'll attach. I brought in the matching bedside tables - do they look cramped?

Here's the after:

{{!gwi}}

Close-up of fabric:

I think I need lamps this size, about 27":

{{!gwi}}

I have a little more of the flowered fabric but not enough to make a 2nd throw pillow. I have a blue pillow that matches the bed skirt:

{{!gwi}}

I'd appreciate your thoughts!

Here is a link that might be useful: Here's a lamp I'm considering

Comments (31)

• les917
    12 years ago

Very pretty, and I know for me the color wouldn't be an issue, but it is for some.

I would get plain white lamps with white shades, and a framed art piece over the bed, perhaps something in a floral or landscape with lots of greens, but framed in white.

Like the small floral pillow better than the blue one.

I would also change out the bedskirt to white, and prop up the green and white shams against the wall so they are more visible.

I think you could lose the one nightstand by the closet, but then it might make the room feel smaller if someone wonders if you could use it with two nightstands. I would try it this way for now.

Good luck!

• kristinekr
    12 years ago

Your bedding came out great!

I agree with Les: prop up the shams.

Also, while the lamps you are considering are very nice and would go nicely in the room--I wouldnt pay that much for lamps to stage the room. I would just use some tall lamps with white shades--maybe walmart has some some cheap.

Check out homegoods for art above the bed. I agree white frame would look good.

How about floor length panels for the window? Simple panels hung on clips on a metal rod that is hung above the window.

Good luck selling!

• Related Discussions

The Attic Bedroom: Done

Q

Comments (41)
    That's a very pretty paint color! I think it turned out nicely. I don't know what your other chair looks like, but I think the white one by the stairs would look nice in the corner with a dark teal throw. Just my two cents' worth.
    ...See More

Bedroom furniture has arrived! Pics! Need help w/ window...

Q

Comments (24)
    Alrighty... I have been to JC Penny's (and a dz other stores) and am having trouble finding the right shade of grey. BUT- I have had no trouble finding blues!!!!! Would it be possible to bring blue into this room with window treatments and maybe a rug? These WT are from JC Penny's... they are not the right length, I just brought them home for color. It's a blue/grey... WDYT? Wide, just so you can see the color. and here they are more "closed" which is how I would hang them. I'm a little concerned they look "random"... like, where did I get the blue from? Thoughts? Also- we got our triple dresser. And *shudder* we got a new TV. We are not a big TV family (in fact, we just went from 1 TV to 2) but I like to watch the news as I get ready.... I know, I know... many of you are cringing. So am I. Until I get to watch the Today Show in the morning... I am feeling much more informed! ;) It's a beast. I also got a cute little (faux) orchid on clearence at Target. WDYT? How else do I decorate this wall (this is opposite the bed.)
    ...See More

I need so much help with my 1916 craftsman bedroom!

Q

Comments (26)
    HI Juliekcmo, I have electrician coming in a couple of weeks. I will ask about putting outlet there but that window faces a busy street and only the center bottom window opens (by design). So it's really not as nice as it appears to be. The whole upper window is a transom window and I doubt it's opened in 50 years and it's a very poor design as it's way too huge to be a transom window. I love the idea of the bed on this wall and it really would open up the room but I think there are too many things against it. knowing all of that, would you still try to get the bed in front of the window? thank you!!!!
    ...See More

Need help with paint color please for guest bedroom/bath

Q

Comments (27)
    Continuing the edge combe grey into the bedroom and bath would give you a brighter room and a neutral backdrop to tie the spaces together. Then your art and linens would add the color which you could easily change. You could pick a shade darker off the paint chip if you didnt want the hall, bath and bedroom all the exact same grey. Do use bright or saturated hues in decor if you paint the walls all neutral.
    ...See More
  • ellendi
    12 years ago

I agree with kristin. Lamps are not going to be the deal breaker. Also, I am always amazed at all the home shows where the people comment on the paint color of the walls. As if they are going to find a house that is painted exactly in the colors that match their decor.
    Neat, clean and uncluttered. Your lovely bedspread shows you CARE about your house. I think buyers don't want to see neglectled rooms unless they are getting a fanastic deal on a fixer upper.
    Good Luck

• annkathryn
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the comments & suggestions. I've got a white bedskirt that I can try out - it's got a little lace on the bottom so might not be the right feel, but I'll see how it looks. I agree that the JCP lamps are a bit pricey. I'll take a look at Target & Walmart for white lamps.

In the meantime, here are the pillows rearranged.

{{!gwi}}

And here's the remaining piece of floral fabric pinned to the wall - too small, I know, but just for the idea. I've looked all over the house for another picture that would work, but everything else is the wrong color.

• les917
    12 years ago

Take the fabric and cut out three pieces from it, each one different, perhaps each piece a couple of leaves from the fabric. Get three large white frames (or spray paint three old ones that you might have around the house), get ready-made mats that fit in those frames, but that have the smallest opening you can get in which the little pieces of fabric would fit. Put the three on the wall above the bed, hung so that they are sitting maybe 4 to 6 inches narrower in total than the width of the bed. All the white framing and matting will break up the strong expanse of green, but not fight with it as a lot of color might.

• gmp3
    12 years ago

Les 917 hs a good point, large, mostly white art would break up the space. How about 2 cheap white poster frames with big freehand leaves drawn in a few strokes in the color of the bedding?

So far the room looks amazing!

• xantippe
    12 years ago

We just staged and sold our own house, so I know how much work it is! You're off to a great start. Your fabric choices are fabulous!

May I suggest turning the duvet stripes the other direction, so they run horizontally across the bed? No idea if this will work with your particular duvet, but we did that with ours, and it made the bed so much more inviting looking. I was shocked at the difference.

As for lamps, I agree with everyone else--just pick up cheap ones with white shades. Target has some for $19.99 that are really cute.

• allison0704
    12 years ago

My suggestion would be not to add any more green to the room. You said you wanted to distract potential buyers from the color, but have only brought it (with a touch of blue) into the room. I would try to find a decorative pillow at Target or Home Goods that had the blue along with orange, yellow, etc for the bed. Then try to add those colors again with artwork, and any other accessories you bring into the room.

• annkathryn
    Original Author
    12 years ago

les - great idea for art. It's too bad the frames of the baseball photos from my son's original wall aren't a lighter brown or I could have used them. They're a burl wood so I'd rather not paint them white.

As far as curtains, I'd rather not add them here because I don't have drapes or curtains anywhere else in the house. I agree they'd look good and if I was staying I'd definitely be adding them to this room and another small bedroom I'm staging.

Interesting idea to turn the stripes the other way - I'll have to see how that looks.

allison - good point. A friend has urged me to paint the room Antique White, but I wanted to see how all the bedding looked first.

I'll see what kind of pillows/art I can find at Home Goods. I'm pretty sure I don't have 3 large enough frames that would work in the space right now.

Thanks for all your thoughts!

• User
    12 years ago

Oh what pretty colors and I love the bedding too.
    For art I'd either search a thrift store or garage sales to find a large framed piece that you could redo. Maybe spray paint the whole thing, removing glass first if there is any, and then free hand a few of the leaves onto the "canvas" with craft paints to match the fabric on the little pillow.
    Here's a little mock up I did with the Walmart lamps linked below, just thirty dollars each which includes the shade and a CFL light bulb! I thought that was kind of funny that the bulb was included.

And with white bedskirt...

Here is a link that might be useful: Adjustable Key Table Lamp, Brushed Steel Finish

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    12 years ago

Have you seen how the bed looks without the green ruffled pillow?

• terezosa / terriks
    12 years ago

I'm hoping to not paint this room, but to instead use nice fabrics to take the eye away from the bright wall colors. I sewed a duvet cover, two shams, two pillowcases and a throw pillow this week.

You must really hate painting to do all that sewing instead!

You have done a great job, but I'm not sure it will be enough to counteract the very strong color on the walls. I would post over on the Buying and Selling Homes Forum for selling/staging advice.

• Valerie Noronha
    12 years ago

I tend to agree with terriks, a neutral light fresh coat of paint works wonders. Even if it's not a potential owners' favorite, it would work with whatever they have vs. adding an item to their to-do list after move-in. Remember, potential buyers need to be able to envision their possessions in your space, and as lovely as you've made this room, there is a strong possibility that theirs won't work.

As for lamps, I agree to get something simple, though keep the tags on and return them to the store afterwards. I find HomeGoods to usually have the best prices since Target often sells the shade and lamp separately which adds up. As for wall art, I think I'd do something in metal and not add more color or pattern. Again, HG should have some nice pieces and keep the tags on and return later.

• PRO
    Diane Smith at Walter E. Smithe Furniture
    12 years ago

I love that green. As a matter of fact I'm wearing a top in the same color today!
    Everyone has such good advice with adding white. I'm wondering if you have thought about incorporating the white bookshelf back into the room?

valinsv, It's one thing to take something home and try it in your home to see if it works and another to use it then return it as new. Not fair to the store and not fair to the next person who takes the item home as new.
    I used to deal with people who did that with clothing after they wore it with the tags still attached. Gross.

• work_in_progress_08
    12 years ago

If I were your buyer, I would not care a lick about your room color. I know for sure I am not in the majority, but I think whomever it may be that is interested in your home can repaint the room if they buy the home. I would think buyers can see past the great green if it doesn't suit them. So long as the rooms are immaculately clean, clear of clutter and void of extra furniture that make a room appear smaller. Any potential buyer has a sheet with the square footage of every room so painting the room builder beige won't make it any bigger. As for the buyer not wanting the extra effort of painting it, well that can be dealt with in negotiating them a stipend for the painting of that particular room. How much could it cost to have the room painted if that became an issue? For me it would not be worth painting prior to sale. I'll build a paint job into my final negotiation.

I personally love the color and your handy work in the bedding as well.

I would add white - as much of it as you can, because it just is the best accent for the room. Very fresh. The lamps at JCP are nice, but I bought the exact same lamps at Target for DD's room for much less $$. Give the white bedskirt a try. The blue bedskirt is nice, but it appears to be a bit big on the bed and I think white would be a better choice regardless if you're selling. TJ Maxx, Marshalls, Homegoods kinds of stores have lots of home decor items including frames and/or framed prints. I am sure you can either find something in a frame that would look nice over the bed. If it isn't in a white frame that is easily remedied by painting the frame white yourself. Also, inexpensive frames painted white executed with les' suggestion would be a great idea.

I have to disagree with purchasing items for use in staging for the sale of your home, and returning then after you're done using them. Just bad karma IMHO.

Best of luck in selling.

• User
    12 years ago

Our last home was very colorful when we put it on the market. Though our realtor suggested it, I refused to waste my time and money, yes paint is cheap but it's still, on white washing our home. It sold in record time in our area, 3 months as apposed to six to ten months, for more than any other home in the area sold for proving to me that a home doesn't need to be a blank canvas for a potential buyer to see it's worth.

Since our carpet was fifteen years old and a deep blueberry we offered a carpet allowance. I recently ran into the lady that purchased our home. She told me they really appreciated that because so many of the homes they'd looked at had replaced the carpet with something they would not have chosen and would have hated to pay to replace something new just because it wasn't their taste.

If you are worried about the bright colors keeping you from selling your home, you could add a paint allowance. That way you're giving the buyer control in what they want.

• anele_gw
    12 years ago

I love justgotabe's mockup. It looks elegant and simple to execute-- and like a spa.

If you DO repaint, I would still stick with green, only something a little less bold. I think all of your work would be showcased that way, instead of being just another beige room (and this is from someone who likes my cream walls!).

I agree with workIP re: adding more white to the room. The white bedskirt is exactly what I was thinking-- it would add a LOT and make it look more feminine, which is where the room is going. Think clean, serene and botanical-- not flouncy-- and that will be your ticket, I think, for accessories.

• HomeMaker
    12 years ago

I'd probably buy your house BECAUSE of the green walls!

I agree that a white bedskirt would be better, but the blue is fine. The bedskirt wouldn't change my mind.

A couple of nice white lamps on the night stands would be perfect - check your local thrift store for something funky that you can spray white.

Good luck, it's a lovely room.

• pricklypearcactus
    12 years ago

Great transformation! The room looks really large with your new configuration and beautiful bedding. Love the mockups justgotabme made. While some may still be turned off by the bold colors, others (like myself) would either enjoy the bright green or would be perfectly comfortable knowing painting would be necessary.

• Happyladi
    12 years ago

I think it's really pretty. As for the wall colors, there is really no hiding it. Some people will love it, some will hate it. It's surprising how many people can't see past wall color.

You might leave the color for a month and see what the reaction is to it. I suggest you be open to repainting the walls if the reaction isn't good. A softer green might be nice.

• annkathryn
    Original Author
    12 years ago

justgotabeme wow! thanks for that mock-up. I love the artwork with the rest of the room. And those lamps are a great price.

terriks: You must really hate painting to do all that sewing instead! Let's just say I'm painting challenged. The last touch-up I did was such a disaster that I promised DH I'd never paint a wall again. I'm not an expert seamstress, but I can at least sew a straight line ;-) Thanks also for the suggestion of posting on the Buying Homes forum. I'll probably do that in a couple of weeks once I have a few more rooms done (I had posted earlier this year and got some great advice there).

deedee - thanks for the suggestion of bringing the white book shelves back. I'm really seriously considering putting it on the wall opposite the bed, replacing the dresser. The only downside is that we'd lose a mirror that way (stagers seem to love mirrors).

To everyone else who has chimed in, I've read your comments and appreciate them!

Here's a try at turning the duvet the other way - I like how it looks, but because the duvet isn't square it's way too long that way. DH hates the green ruffled pillow and would love to see that gone.

And here's the white skirt tucked in - a little wrinkled and lumpy since I didn't put it on the box spring.

• User
    12 years ago

Nice room, and great sewing skills!

I have to wonder, however, at the money and time spent on decorating a room to appease a buyer when painting the room a more neutral paint color would be less expensive, most likely less time than already spent on sewing, procuring fabric, getting feedback and would solve the problem of worrying about whether the bright lime green walls would turn off a buyer.

I've sold many houses, and I LOVE color. I love the green room. But many people just aren't good at projecting and all they see is a green room.

Depending on the market, I've left red walls in a living room and colorful wallpaper (that's what sold the house) and the last house I painted every room back to a neutral color, and in that instance, THAT is what sold the house.

My point is, depending on the market, your location, if there are many other homes competing against you, and who your target buyer is (young, Pottery Barn type would prefer neutrals most likely, older retired couple might be more likely to go with the color--of course, there are exceptions) I'd make the decision based on those factors.

People tend to get caught up on staging both in buying and selling a home; the first thing I ever thought of was not how pretty the bedding was in a house, but what that room would look like WITHOUT the nice bedding, furniture and decor.

Different buyers, different markets, different homes call for different decisions.

Your room is beautiful, and I wish you the best of luck in selling your home.

• anele_gw
    12 years ago

RE: the bedskirt-- not trying to be picky, but I think the styles clash. I was thinking more along a fuller, more modern white ...I'd keep the blue vs. the white/cream one you have.

• annkathryn
    Original Author
    12 years ago

demifloyd - your points are well taken. In my area everything is staged to the max, with neutral colors everywhere. My house is going to appeal to buyers with children because it's in a top school district, so I was aiming to create a room a teenager would like. I needed a new duvet cover for this bed anyway so will be able to use it in my next house. All the fabric was on sale - the cost was pretty minimal, less than half the cost to repaint.

anele I agree completely about the bedskirt, it's the wrong style for the duvet.

One more decision to be made is whether to add baseboard. What's there now is the builder grade 1/2 inch wood board - it's in all 3 of the smaller bedrooms. It would be a big job but I know it would look great.

• User
    12 years ago

I figured you had a plan, makes sense, especially since you expect buyers to have teenagers.

Thanks for enlightenment.

Good Luck.

• anele_gw
    12 years ago

RE: baseboard-- nah. I think the room looks fine as-is, esp. for a teen. You have it in the other rooms, so the parents will focus on the master regarding that type of detail.

I'd get the lamps and a different print like the mockup, and call it a day!

• B H
    12 years ago

I know I'm late to this discussion (looking at your green walls for inspiration for MY boy's room & I love it!) but as a recent home buyer, I have to agree with a pp that I really didn't care about the colors of the walls. If I did, we wouldn't be in this house right now (ALL the walls except for the nursery were done in beige with pink undertones = flesh-colored Band Aids). I expect that as a new homeowner that I am going to put my brand on the entire house.

The only thing I would do in an attempt to neutralize the green is to add more white as others have said and also add a pop of color that isn't in the green/blue family - like orange or coral.

I think you've done a great job with that room transforming from it your son's room to a room that is cheerful and inviting - btw - love the ruffle pillow!

• annkathryn
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks bindsd! I'm getting mixed reviews on the wall color - a friend who's a decorator is adamant that I paint, while the first Realtor I interviewed says it's fine. I've got another month before the house goes on the market so will keep an open mind.

I bought a couple of matching lamps and am still looking for some inexpensive art for the wall. No luck so far though.

• Kathleen McGuire
    12 years ago

Love the duvet and patterned sheets but I am not digging the green ruffle pillow. Sorry. Something about the green on green. NOW if that were a coral colored pillow, then we'd be talking! I keep thinking a small pop of coral would really add something without overwhelming it! I would try a small coral pillow on the bed and maybe a colorful art print over the bed and call it a day.
    Scroll down the link to "floral frenzy".

http://www.art.com/gallery/id--b201138/new-botanical-posters.htm?ui=36319D761FE7426799D96292EDE5A065

Here is a link that might be useful: ruffled pillow

• annkathryn
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I've been looking for coral fabric and pillows, but I'm afraid of going too far on the orange side.

Here's the latest - frames from Ikea, $5 of fabric, inexpensive lamps from Walmart. I need to turn the fabric on the left around because I accidentally hung it upside down.

• annkathryn
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I think this thread got lost in the gardenweb difficulties a few weeks ago, so I'm bumping it up now that I have the mirror on the dressor. It's close to being done, I just need to hang the 3rd picture, touch up the paint and add a few more accessories.

{{!gwi}}