SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tigger

Totally confused regarding marble tiles!!

tigger
15 years ago

I'm in the process of trying to pick tile for the backsplash (as those of you who have read my previous posts know!) and am now totally and completely confused. I love the look of the Calacatta marble in other kitchens (Lagrant's comes to mind), but there seems to be a huge variation in price. Is this due to the grade of marble or possibly some not even being real marble?? For example, The Tile Shop carries "marble" tiles with different names (such as Lansdale Carrara or Carrara Amalfi), so is this not really marble? I like the look of it anyway!

I realize that with natural stone, the coloration will vary, so even though the photos online may appear very different from one place to another, in reality it may be closer to the same (depending on the batch). I guess I'm just worried that I'll end up with practically solid white tiles with little veining, but not sure how that can be prevented! Has anyone ever been able to verify with a specific company what the batch they have actually looks like?? I know I can order a sample, but with marble, it could still look completely different after ordering the entire amount needed. With a slab, you know exactly what you're getting, but I suppose you just have to take a chance with tile!

In trying to find Calacatta gold, the two I found online differ greatly both in coloration and price:

This is from Deko Tile and only available in polished but the price is great (approx. $13/sq. ft.)

{{!gwi}}

However, LuxeTile has some in polished, honed and brushed (have never seen brushed marble), and the price is MUCH greater (varies from approx. $23-44/sq.ft.)

{{!gwi}}

Any advice from those who have used any type of marble for your backsplash?? Thanks!

Comments (21)