SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
charlikin

When you're used to no counter space...

charlikin
14 years ago

I just posted these two photos in the subway tile backsplash thread, and as I was looking at them, it made me realize something...

{{gwi:1579756}}Â Â Â Â {{!gwi}}

This is a tiny galley kitchen in a coop apartment in NYC. My old kitchen had about 40" of countertop space opposite the sink - that's it. The new one has that little bit of space next to the sink, and almost 9 feet of counter opposite the sink. Untold luxury.

Well, now that I'm using the new kitchen for about six months, I realize that I pretty much only use that tiny bit of counter next to the sink. I moved the coffee maker there from where I'd planned to put it on the opposite side (it was more convenient to have it adjacent to the water supply), and there's just enough space in front of it to put a cutting board and chop vegetables or beat eggs... or do pretty much anything else.

That long counter on the other side? Well, I do rest the grocery bags on it when I get back from shopping...

I guess when you're used to working on no counter space in a tiny kitchen... well... that's what you do! (And I went to all this expense and bother to build a new kitchen, *why* exactly?!? LOL!)

Comments (18)