SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
that1mommy8

pregnant, starting to dislike stepson

that1mommy8
10 years ago

I am new to this forum but it seems like people give good, helpful advice on here so, here it goes.
DH and I have been married for four years, together for 6. We decided to finally have a baby this year, I am now 23 weeks pregnant with our first daughter. This is my first baby, DH's second. He has a son who is 12 from a previous marriage.

SS and I have gotten along from day one, and the bio mom is a good mom who I also get along with okay. Well ever since I've been pregnant, things have changed. I realize that SS is also starting to go through puberty and is more than likely feeling a little awkward at this stage in his life as well, but I digress.

SS always talked about wanting a sibling, but since I've been pregnant he has been acting out ALL THE TIME. He gets upset when he's asked to do simple chores like make his bed or put his dishes in the sink. It drives me crazy that I have to remind him to brush his teeth and take a shower. He is too old for that.

SS had to move to a different room so the baby can be next door to our room, and he tries to put a guilt trip on us every chance he gets. He says the room is scary (even though everytime I checked on him he was sound asleep). He is here two nights a week, and I've started dreading those nights because he is constantly trying to start fights with his father and acting bratty.
I try to understand that he is probably a little anxious and jealous of the baby who will be arriving soon, but I can't help but feel a certain amount of dislike for him because of how he's been acting while he's here.
My husband has been very good with all this and tried to talk to him, trying to include him in everything, but he is also good with following through with disciplining him in the correct manner and doesn't let him get away with all that crap that's been going on. So what I'm trying to say is that its not my husbands fault, I think he has been doing everything as correctly as possible.

I think the child has started not to like coming to our house cuz his mother lets him sit on his butt and watch TV all day. Not to add that SS is overweight and extremely lazy (which he definitely gets from bio mom), so when we ask him to do chores he acts like its the end of the world.
His mom also feeds him fast food and crap all the time, so he hates the food at our house. He makes faces and says he doesn't like healthy food. His mom has even "jokingly" commented to me about how skinny I am and need to put on weight. My husband and I are both into health and fitness and its hard to have SS here cuz he doesn't like to play with other kids or go on bike rides or anything. If the activity doesn't involve going out and spending money, then SS doesn't want to do it. His mom gives him ANYTHING he wants. (She bought him a brand new iPhone in October last year and now all the kid does is play games on it.)
Not to mention he goes to school in his moms town which is an hour and a half drive for us, so he has no friends here, and no desire to make any friends here either. It also makes me angry that she expects us to drive all the way to her town on Fridays to get him, but then will only meet us half way on Sundays to drop him off.

The kid is going to be in high school in a year, and his mom still treats him like a baby. His parents still haven't told him about Santa Claus yet cuz she doesn't want him to grow up. Its a little ridiculous. I mean he will be 13 soon.
DH gets annoyed with these things too, but the situation could be much worse, so he kind of just goes with the flow.

I feel bad cuz lately I've been finding myself cringing at the thought of SS coming for weekends. We used to have a fine relationship before I was pregnant. Hopefully it changes when my daughter is here.

My husband is unaware of my changing feelings towards my stepson, as I am afraid it might hurt his feelings. I do not treat SS any differently, but I just don't want him around right now. DH and I are so excited about this baby girl who is coming into our lives, the pregnancy has brought us even closer than we were before... I just wish things with my SS were different.

Sorry for the long post, but I'm a little mixed up about this and am afraid to voice my feelings too much, I don't want people to think I'm a horrible person.

Comments (2)