SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
loves2cook4six

Nashville Floods. Kitchen in a hurry. Need LO help

loves2cook4six
13 years ago

As you may recall, I posted a few weeks ago that my mom and sister lost their home to the Nashville floods.

They are in the process of rebuilding and I am helping by designing the kitchen.

Final design will either be custom built by Amish volunteers or come from Ikea.

The old kitchen was impractical and hard to work in. Five out of seven days it is just my mom but on weekends my sister comes home and they like to cook together and entertain friends, the crowd is rarely more than 8.

This is the current LO:

Doors and windows have to stay. Everything else is gutted down to the studs and concrete slab. The laundry area is already in place and there isn't anywhere else to put it. The washer and dryer were the only appliances that were salvagable, they are new and won't be replaced.

The door on the top left is really an open unframed doorway that leads to the den, the doorway on the top right is a real door, rather narrow, that leads to the dining room and living room and the door on the right leads to a built in pantry that also houses the water heater. There is a possibility that access to the water heater from the living room can be built in by adding a door on the other side of the pantry. (Not on floorplan). If we do this, we can remove the pantry door, open up the wall by adding a header and either putting more in built in floor to ceiling pantries or a single wall oven and storage.

My mom is 72 so we want all drawers in lower cabs wherever possible so she doesn't have to crouch and unpack cabs to get to the stuff in the back.

As everything is open, I am hoping it won't be too costly to move appliances and plumbing at this point.

Comments (5)