SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rav1_gw

need advice on mosaic project with children

rav1
13 years ago

I'm creating a mosaic installation with children from age 3 to 3rd grade. We are creating some shaped ceramic tiles and also using broken commercial tiles.

I plan to use hardi-board as a backer, and weldbond adhesive. Most of the broken tile setting and the grouting will be handled by the adults.

The ceramic tiles the children are creating have both raised and stamped, indented areas, and will be glazed.

Panels will be completed horizontally, then installed on walls, surrounding windows.

Also, We want to include some words. These could be either stamped homemade ceramic tiles or scrabble-tile letters or individual letters glued under glass marbles then put together to spell out words.

QUESTIONS:

Am I setting myself up for disaster or much more work by including stamped tiles, which might catch grout? I assume I'll need to tape off or carefully work around any indented/textured tiles. Do scrabble tiles catch grout? Never used them before.

Anyone have any good tips or techniques for working with textured tiles to avoid filling with grout?

In terms of attaching the panels, I plan to pre-drill holes in the hardi-board, then attach to the cinderblock and/or plaster walls, and fill in screw hole at the end.

Is this the way to go? Don't want to liquid-nail the panels down, as the school may need to remove the panels at some point.

Any input on these questions or other aspects of working with children and doing wall installations would be appreciated. Thanks!

Comments (3)

Sponsored