SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lavender_lass

Being more self sufficient

lavender_lass
12 years ago

This is something I've been thinking about, for quite a while. When I was 12 years old, I remember watching a special on PBS, where the question was...what would you do if we no longer had the essential technology and infrastucture, that we now take for granted? Whether it was a natural disaster, war, economic collapse, temporary or permanent...what would you do? How would you manage to accomplish every day tasks? Where would you get food, if the supermarkets were empty? How would you clean, cook, heat your home, etc.?

Being 12, I thought this was scary and fascinating at the same time....and I still do. With all the economic uncertainty, I find myself thinking about this, again. I'd like to be more self sufficient, so I've started growing some vegetables, herbs and fruit, along with my roses and other flowers. I'm thinking about learning to can, in case the power goes out and the freezer is not a reliable means of storing food. I'd like to get a wood stove, for heating and for cooking...and I'd love to add a greenhouse.

So, has anyone else thought about the future? I don't mean to sound negative, because I really don't feel that way. It's more about trying to be prepared, so that we can deal better with whatever the future may bring. As my husband always says, plan for the worst, but hope for the best. Our heat bill is due to go up again, this fall...and we've had a few power outages, lately. I think it might be time to start looking at wood stoves :)

Comments (20)