SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rjl443

Where to start - 1978 traditional kitchen

rjl443
11 years ago

Hi -

We were debating moving out of our 1978 home to get something with better light/open space/kitchen. In order to do that though we would have to sacrifice something - we have 1 acre land, 5 bedroms with big closets for a great price we got it 4 years ago, in the DC suburbs but near nature preserve/no rear neighbors. It was in horrific condition and we spent the first 6 months making it clean/livable. We took out paneling and put in drywall, we took down wall between kitchen and family room. Put in granite counters (which we realize we will probably lose in this process) and got new appliances, which has gotten us through the last 4 years. Last year we put in geothermal AC/Heating/hot water and Solatubes (5) for the dark areas upstairs.

We took our measurements and want to Lowes and Home Depot this weekend to get some estimates, we looked at KraftMaid, Thomasville and Innermost. After hours of our toddler climbing "mommy" all over me I realized this task was probably best worked on while he is at daycare :)

Then I came home and found this forum. We have a typical u-shape kitchen with peninsula small window over small sink. With pantry/fridge/cabinet with microwave on opposing wall. Dark cabinets, poor lighting, very typical colonial layout, large (mostly unused) dining room (we call it kitchen annex).

What is a good software program to draw up a layout? I will post current and "ideas" layout. I have visio but is there something easier/better?

Thanks!!!

Roberta

Comments (42)