SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
leennp

Painting in prep for selling house

10 years ago

Hello all. This is my first posting in decorating forum, but not my last for sure. I don't thing I have the decorating gene in my DNA and and quite challenged in that respect, my husband is also color blind, and claims he can give no opinion in colors, even it not talking about the red and green he can't see. Soo, I am struggling with paint color choices. We are under contract to purchase a 1976 home that will get extensive remodeling, but I am not as concerned with that currently as I am getting our house ready to sell. If was not at work today would post a picture, will try that tomorrow. Basically is a 1930's house, lots of windows, lots of light, ceilings are 9 foot. Living room is currently painted red with white trim, fireplace mantel and white ceiling. Dining room (connected through cased opening ) has a floral wallpaper that has a dark green background, picks up the red shade in living room. Ceiling in dining room is dark green painted embossed ceiling tiles which look great to me, but I am sure will not appeal to buyers as nothing is neutral. So, we are planning on either removing wallpaper or putting up 1/4 inch sheet rock over it on the top with wainscoting on the bottom half. Have heavy white crown molding in both rooms. Looking for suggestions for paint colors. Would you use same paint color in living and dining rooms? If put wainscoting in dining room, paint same as wall color or same as trim? How about the embossed ceiling? I am afraid if painted white, you will lose all of the detail and not even see it, would also cause the beautiful crown molding to disappear. Would you paint same as wall color, lighter than wall color? Should all of the trim in these two rooms remain white since trim is rest of house is white? Sorry for the length of post!

Comments (12)