SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
txmarti

Help! In-laws moving into our little house.

TxMarti
14 years ago

This will be a temporary situation, but I still don't think it's going to be easy. They have sold their house and are moving to our town to live in a senior housing center, but have to wait for an apartment to open.

Our 2 spare bedrooms are each 10x10. I plan on getting rid of the trundle bed in one bedroom so they can put their bed there. I'll get rid of my sewing desk in the other bedroom so they can put their dresser or chest there, but I am keeping the trundle in that room so my girls will have somewhere to sleep when they visit.

There is a 6x2' closet in one room and a 3x2 in the other room so they will have plenty of room for hanging clothes, plus they can put a lot of their spare clothes in storage with the rest of their furniture.

We have a bathroom they can have, but it has the only built in hamper in the house, so I will have to find space for our dirty clothes somewhere. There is no room in our closet, bathroom or laundry area. May have to get a basket & put it beside my bed. Better yet, beside dh's side of the bed. ;)

They don't want to move in with us because they know it will strain our relationship, but other than a motel, we don't have other options. If they rent a regular apartment, they won't be available to move when the senior apartment comes open.

Any tips to living in a small house with in-laws and keeping your sanity? Back when we talked about them moving in with us, we wanted to build a house that had separate areas, NOT this house.

Comments (23)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH