SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lavender_lass

Building vs. Remodeling

lavender_lass
12 years ago

Why is it there seems to be such a bias (on some of the other forums) against remodeling? While I can appreciate the pros and (let's face it...fun) of building a new home, I can see that remodeling is often a good choice, too.

Lately, I've been reading a lot of statements, on other forums, that building new is so much cheaper than remodeling. However, no account is given to whether the new lot has water, sewer, electric/gas, phone/internet, or landscaping, driveways, etc. These are all expensive items that existing homes (usually) already have.

My other 'cringe moment' seems to come with the attitude that the old is inferior to the new. I know a lot of us take pride in working with what we have and coming up with creative solutions to challenges. I think Mama Goose's vent/hood is a wonderful example of taking something no longer used and making it into something wonderful!

I want to make it clear, I think building a new home is a wonderful opportunity to get what you want in a house. It also presents its own challenges, and this is not an anti-new home rant. It's more of a repurpose/reuse 'green' question. Why not work with what we have...if that option is available?

So does anyone have any insights, opinions or ideas about this? I hope so, because I think it might make an interesting discussion. Thanks in advance :)

Comments (24)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!