SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
katmu_gw

Build vs. Remodel

katmu
10 years ago

So it may be a little late to be asking this as I already own a lot in addition to my current home, but I'm second guessing my decision to build. I went to the lumber and millwork showroom this morning, and I know I don't want the windows that the builder is suggesting as I think they look cheap. I'm starting to feel like to get the same level of quality in my old house, I'm going to go way over my budget.

My main issue with the current house is that there isn't really a master suite but there are other things I would want to do as well. There is a fairly steep staircase to a now unused bedroom and loft type area upstairs with a deck off the loft so I could make the 2 rooms into one and run the plumbing for a master bath from the current main floor bath.

But then I still have a detached garage. The current house is old (1930) but it has new high efficiency mechanicals, new electrical, a custom kitchen, original hardwood floors throughout but also original windows.

I'm trying to be practical and make the decision that makes the most financial sense but I'm starting to wonder which decision that is.

Comments (4)