SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stiley

Kitchen remodel: range vs wall ovens, walk-in vs wall pantry?

stiley
3 years ago

We get to remodel our kitchen! Question 1: Currently I have an electric cooktop on the island and a wall oven/microwave combo. We're moving the cooktop off the island. I'm considering doing a range instead of a wall oven. We'd put the microwave (maybe a drawer one?) in the island. Am I correct in thinking it's an even trade? Are wall ovens the same size as the average range? We probably won't bring gas into the kitchen so I'm looking at an induction cooktop/convection oven.

Question 2: Our current pantry is a small walk-in in the corner of the room. The location is bad because all family comes right past where I'm cooking to access the pantry when they get hungry around dinner time. Plus it has double doors that never stay closed. I'm considering having a large wall pantry with drawers etc. I think it might be less storage overall but I'll be able to see everything and organize it better. Am I crazy to trade a walk-in for a wall pantry?

In the remodel floorplan here, I would like to do a range instead of the wall oven next to the fridge so that our pantry can be larger. And also do a 42" built-in counter depth fridge. We're a family of four. I don't love to cook but do it almost every day to feed the family. Thanks for any feedback!

Current kitchen:

Remodel plan:

Comments (22)