SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
newebbie001

cramped entryway

newebbie001
10 years ago

I'm gutting and remodeling a small, dark apartment with 8' ceilings. The original layout has oddly-sized closets, a coat closet far from the door, wasted open space in the very dark back, a cramped eat-in kitchen, and a claustrophobic entryway with a short wall facing you 3'2" from your nose when you enter. I'm trying to address all these issues and adding a bathroom, so I will have to make do with smaller guest room and study.

I'm stumped by the entryway.

1. I could add a coat closet there, so you enter to a closet, not a blank wall, which I believe would be (slightly) less offputting. What sort of doors should the closet have to soften the impact of the very close quarters?
2. I could move the wall back 1 foot, losing the valuable new coat closet. I'd make this wall 3' high solid, topped by white lattice to give an illusion of space but still allow some privacy in the kitchen.
3. I could do as #2 above, but instead make the top of the wall transluscent glass.
4. I could do as #2 above, but instead make the solid wall 6' high and have the last 2' open to the kitchen, so the entry area at least is a little airier and gets some light from the kitchen.

Anyone has any better ideas? Or at least any opinion as to which of which of the above would work best?

The original floor plan is below.

Thank you, all, for your help!

Comments (15)