SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
barbaraz_gw

Tropical Retreat Decorating

barbaraz
15 years ago

I have the good fortune to have a second home on Maui, a small condo at the beach that we use ourselves and rent out when we are not using it. I am about to remodel the kitchen and could really use some help so I don't end up with a mish-mosh of colors and styles. It's especially difficult making all the decisions required when you aren't actually in the space at the moment. I plan to oversee the remodel in Sept but I must get my orders in now for cabinetry, etc. So imagine all the stress of trying to choose everything you need to for a remodel long distance! That's one reason I'm looking for HELP!!!

I am getting new cabinets, probably in maple. I am trying to decide if I want to paint them white or stain them. The white is clean looking, classic, very tropical, can make the space seem larger, but is more difficult to keep clean. The condo is across the street from the beach so there is a constant amount of dust in the air that tends to leave a film on everything. I do let others use my condo when I'm not there and not everyone cleans or wipes down the way I do. So I am concerned with how well the white will look a few years down the road. I should also mention that I have school age children that come over with us to use the condo during school vacations.

There is also something very attractive about the wood with a contrasting countertop that I really love, too. That dramatic look can be a real "wow" factor. I think the wood look is very warm and inviting and can look like you spent more money than you did. It makes for a very rich look, if you know what I mean.

I'm enclosing some photos of my old kitchen in my Maui condo so you can see my space. It's very small and has no direct sunlight at the kitchen end of the room. Walls are painted a light yellow, floor will be a creamy tan colored 20"X20" tile that reminds me of a marble look. I am trying to decide between maple cabinets that are stained in a light to medium color or painting them white. Big concern with how well white will hold up since condo is located at the beach--there is always a film of dust and sand on everything. The white would be bright, clean looking, tropical. Wood stain is more rich looking, I think. Cabinet style I'm thinking of is a maple Shaker door with recessed panel. Clean, simple lines. Anything too ornate or with too many ridges will be too difficult to keep clean. Don't want anything too busy or heavy looking for my small space. We do let others use our condo when we aren't using it and they do not clean thoroughly, if at all! So this has to be factored into the equation.

I will be opening up the kitchen and reconfiguring the space to make it more of an L shape. Don't want my kitchen to be too dark so I keep going back and forth on the cabinet color--stain so you can see the wood or paint white??

FYI..I am planning to install under cabinet lighting.

Would love some opinions.

I also want to keep in mind what I've already got going so that the kitchen blends with the living room! Would the Shaker style door blend in okay? What about the color of the cabinets and granite color?

The photo of the white kitchen below is an "idea" of what I'm thinking. Just not sure of the cabinets or granite colors. I was "thinking" of a granite for the countertop in the green family--maybe Verde Buttefly, Uba Tuba, Green Pearl, or Peacock Green. This way it would tie into the colors in the living room furniture, stay in the tropical colors, and would go beautifully with white or stained maple cabinets. What do you think of that idea???????

Remodeled Unit with L shaped kitchen and white cabinets:

If you have some ideas as to cabinets with granite color, backsplash, etc, or other decorating ideas, I could really use your help. In my small space I want to be sure that things blend with each other and don't end up too dark.

Mahalo for your help!

Comments (61)

• alex9179
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I imagine a darker wood stain, something exotic would be outstanding but pricey.
    Here is a pic of some granite that I love and would work well for the feel your are going for. It's from Hawaii Home magazine and I've included a link to their kitchen section. It shows a variety of styles, but the dark wood tones feel more Hawaiian to me than the lighter and white cabinets. What do I know, though. I've never been there!

Wild West Granite-sooooo pretty!
    {{gwi:1761912}}

These cabinets have a wonderful wood-grain featured.
    {{gwi:1761913}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Hawaii Home+Remodeling Mag

• barbaraz
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Gracie, if you click on my name at the top of my posts or where it says "My Page" it will take you to another page with some info about me. At the top it says something like "Send Email". Click on that and my email address will pop up. I also tried to send you an email thru gardenweb.com--did you get it??

• Related Discussions

Retreat from the cold

Q

Comments (12)
    Did I hear a rooster calling me?...LOL! :-) V...that is *amazing*! What a beautiful place to be...I never knew Mexico was so *gorgeous*! Paul has been trying to get me to go to Mexico for years, but in my head I was always seeing Tijuana and drunk underage children and didn't think I would like it there...boy will Paul love telling me "I told you so" when he sees these pics. I was going to post my Florida pics of Sanibel island (which I loved) but are not quite up to your tropical paradise! :-) Thanks for sharing your travelogue V...I really enjoyed it! Ei
    ...See More

Tell Me Your Picks For Mid Range Appliances For Tropical Retreat

Q

Comments (5)
    I think you would be happy with Kenmore appliances. Kenmore is a real good brand and almost all their products are good quality and good value. Sears has the best sales, they frequent `20% sales, or sometimes even better. Also, Sears has the best warranty available. It is the most expensive, but covers by far the most. Every year they will come out and do a preventative maintainence check on it, where they do various things for every appliance, ensuring top performance, energy/water efficiency, etc. They will look for wearing parts and replace them. all parts all labor, cosmetic, and alot more. I recommend you get this because you are renting out, and like you said they are not the kindest to stuff that isnt theirs. And with the master protection agreement you wont have to worry about that. Since you would be getting multiple agreements, ask them for 10% off of them, which they will give you. You can actually cancel them and get a full refund at the end of the 1st year if you just dont want it anymore. Though if you find some good discontinued models, do not tell them you want the warranty, try to make a deal with them to give you more off the product if you get the warranty.
    ...See More

Retreat Question??

Q

Comments (21)
    Even though I'm not attending the retreat, I'd like to share an idea that my quilting group does every year during our all day National Quilting Day. Each of us brings either a newly bought (nothing expensive--a pack of fat quarters or something) OR something from our own studio having to do with sewing--like maybe a yard of fabric you bought but changed your mind about, or a quilting book or pattern--anything sewing related. Sometimes one gal's trash is another gal's treasure. All items should be wrapped because we have a Chinese auction. It's a lot of fun and a nice way to unload and/or rescue some unwanted sewing things.
    ...See More

Retreat Recipes Please

Q

Comments (10)
    Laurel did the meatloaf. I think the secret is the peach BBQ sauce. It was delicious. I brought the soup, the recipe is take all your end of the season vegetables from the garden, heat through, then can till needed. Here are my cookie recipes. Almond Cookie Mice 1 cup butter or margarine at room temp 1 cup light brown sugar 1 large egg 2 teaspoonful almond extract 1 teaspoonful vanilla extract 3 ½ cups all-purpose flour for decoration: peanut halves, coarsely chopped raisins, red/black licorice laces in 3 inch lengths Beat butter and sugar in large bowl with electric mixer till fluffy. Beat in egg and extracts. Gradually beat in flour till blended. Dough will be stiff. Cover and refrigerate 1 hour or till well chilled. Heat oven to 325 degrees and have cookie sheets ready. Shape rounded tablespoonful of dough into 1 ¼ inch balls. Taper each ball at one end into a teardrop shape and flatten on one side. Place on un-greased cookie sheet flat side down, 2 inches apart. Press in sides of balls to “raise backs” of mice (they will spread out slightly as they bake). Gently push 2 peanut halves in each for ears and 2 pieces of raisins for eyes. With a wooden toothpick make a 1 inch deep hole at the tail end. Bake 9-12 minutes until bottoms are lightly browned. Remove to rack and insert licorice tails into toothpick holes. Cool completely. Makes about 45 mice. Oatmeal Cookies 1 Cup butter flavor Crisco 1 Cup light brown sugar 1 Cup white sugar 1 Tablespoon vanilla 2 large eggs 1 ½ Cup all-purpose flour 1 teaspoon soda 1 teaspoon salt 3 Cups quick oats Preheat oven to 375. Cream together shorting, sugars and vanilla. Add eggs, flour soda and salt and mix well. Add oats slowly and mix well. Drop on greased cookie sheet and bake 10-15 minutes. I store in zip loc bags. Makes about 3 ½ dozen.
    ...See More
  • barbaraz
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The same flooring will run throughout the condo except for the bedroom, where I will keep carpeting. The condo is small enough that the same flooring throughout will provide continuity and make the space seem larger rather than chopped up. I will probably put an area rug that can be rolled up and sent to be cleaned periodically, in the living room to cozy it up. Makes it a bit more comfy when sitting on the floor watching TV. Other suggestions for flooring/tile color?

• gracie-2006
    15 years ago

Barbara, I sent you an e-mail. I have not received yours yet. I love the granite in the picture alex sent! That is beautiful and perfect for your setting IMO! I finally figured out how to get your e-mail, Thank You!

• barbaraz
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow Alex, that granite is gorgeous! I've never heard of Wild West Granite. I scanned the link but couldn't find any info about it. I must not be looking in the right place. Can you direct me further?

Koa wood is beautiful but rare, and therefore very expensive. Too bad! Don't know much about mango wood or some of the other exotic woods, but I think they are also out of my price range.

So if you like the darker wood for my tropical kitchen should I consider cherry or just go with a darker stain on the maple? What color stain? And what about other granites and backsplash? Maui may not get really unusual granites without enormous expense. Remember, my kitchen is small without direct sunlight so I don't want anything too dark. The furniture will likely be changed long before I replace the cabinets again.

• IdaClaire
    15 years ago

I did a Google image search for Wild West granite. Wow! This stuff is amazing!

Here is a link that might be useful: Wild West pics

• IdaClaire
    15 years ago

Seriously! How cool is this?!?

(I think I'm a little bit granite obsessed today!)

{{gwi:1741458}}

• alex9179
    15 years ago

This is the article about the kitchen, but it centers on the Viking appliances. They used Welborn cabinetry in a Shaker style, probably a stain offered by the company. The granite was installed by Bella Pietra, A Natural Stone Design Center. I have no idea how much Wild West goes for, but I want it...bad :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen

• alex9179
    15 years ago

Auntjen, take a look at Van Gogh (aka Louisa Blue). I KNOW this stuff is pricey, and daring. Someday I may be able to afford it!
    Azul Macaubus is another bank-breaker, but it's fun to look.
    They would look fantastic in your kitchen, Barbara, but probably the only thing you could buy for a long time LOL!

It can't hurt to look at the stone available in your area. Not the BigBox stores, but the companies that fabricate. They will either send you to their suppliers or have a warehouse themselves. You may find the perfect thing at a reasonable price, at least by granite-in-Hawaii standards.
    A nice reddish-brown to walnut stain for your cabinets would look yummy.

{{gwi:1761914}}

• Valerie Noronha
    15 years ago

I was thinking of exactly the same granite (Wild West Green) that Alex posted. It evokes a feeling of the sea. I also like the idea of the stained cabinets. It seems you would like more of a tropical, rather than cottage look.

Make sure to post over on the kitchen forum as well for suggestions about layout. Since your space is small to being with, I would suggest frameless cabinets (like Brookhaven) to maximize your usable storage, uppers to the ceiling, and more drawers. Consider also if you really need the closet pantry--as removing it in favor of uppers and lowers will allow for more counter space. I

• bodiCA
    15 years ago

I love the look of your cabinets and with your furniture! The photo appears to be a perfect balance of light and dark. More white would be far less inviting to me. They appear in perfect condition, so I would save the money and invest it in fabulous granite, which once installed will probably steal the show anyway. I also like the kitchen seperated yet still open to the other room. An L shape with my family woul always look cluttered with shopping and cooking making it impossible for me to relax and enjoy anything. As is, I could enjoy guest and tend to the kitchen after they leave.
    This is a lovely condo, may we see more?

• bodiCA
    15 years ago

A mirror to cover the wall above the sink-set under the granite- with a small matching granite valence strip to conceal an undercabinet light would reflect and connect the living room and add beautiful lighting at night expanding the space, better than the L. I have had mirror backsplash in my kitchen for many, many years, and it is very easy to clean yet adds light and elegance.
    Also from your picture, maybe the microwave and such on the cart? could be in a blending wood cabinet rolltop or tv doors to be out of sight from the livingroom.
    The granite could curve around all the way to the wall in place of the table and chairs, if that would give more floor space. Chairs that would fit under the granite out of the way.
    Your condo is fun to think about and I'm sure, even more fun to stay!

• barbaraz
    Original Author
    15 years ago

FYI..The "closet" in the kitchen is where the washer/dryer are and the condo association will not permit moving them.

I thought about the possibility of moving the refrigerator to the spot the remodeled white kitchen has it (see my earlier post with the photos). Then bumping the peninsula out more toward the living room and putting stools around it. I would then get rid of the table/ chairs. Or even putting in an island in a vertical position with stools around. I'm concerned about crowding the space back up after ripping out the old peninsula, though. So for now, I think I'll probably leave the space open and live with it for awhile. I can always add an island later. I'm such a visual person, its really difficult for me to "see" in my mind's eye what some of these ideas would really look like.

As I mentioned, the present kitchen is rather narrow and makes it difficult for two people to be in the kitchen cooking at the same time. So another layout would be more functional, even though the current cabinets may not look that bad. Someone suggested posting my new kitchen layout and that's an excellent idea, if I can figure out how to do it!

What are other thoughts regarding removal of the current peninsula, making the kitchen an L shape, and opening the space up?? I hadn't thought about the messy kitchen being exposed to guests in the living room. Since we don't live there full time--YET!--we don't have quite as much "stuff" as we do in our kitchen on the mainland. However, we actually do entertain quite a bit there, but we tend to wander out onto the lanai (patio) and the large grassy area that's adjacent to it. So we usually don't all crowd into just the kitchen or living room. But you are right, Bodica, any mess in the kitchen would be exposed to the living room.

Those 2 granites are stunning and very much remind me of the ocean. I wonder what my chances are of finding them on Maui. Heck, I can't even find a decent TV stand I like!!

It seems as though I am getting more comments to go with stained cabinets as of late, rather than the white. Is that right? If so, what color on the stain--would a medium brown stain blend ok, like a cinnamon or nutmeg color? Would it make my small kitchen in a hot climate feel smaller or too dark??? Would a light stain or a natural stain on the cabinets be too light or stark with my current furnishings--do they have to match to look best, especially in a small space?

What else for granites--would something in the green family of granite blend--Examples? Or should I go with a lighter counter? Something that isn't too busy would probably work best, don't ya think, since I have the sofa nearby and that's kinda busy.

I need help putting this all together. Would a clean simple design such as a Shaker door on the cabinetry look good even though I also have a tropical theme?

• barbaraz
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Other thoughts/opinions?? Thanks in advance.

• craftymeca
    15 years ago

Could some of you fabulous photoshoppers help here for visuals.

• alex9179
    15 years ago

This place does work in Hawaii. Click on the "more details" button, scroll down to the "full slab" tab to get a better feel for the stone. LOTS of selections here.

Here is a link that might be useful: Granite site

• barbaraz
    Original Author
    15 years ago

What is a photoshopper??

• craftymeca
    15 years ago

Barb, Some people here have the talent to show you how your cupboards and counters will look in the colors you were asking.They can actually take your pictures and show you so you can visualize what they would look like. It has been done many times here, and hopefully one of them will do this for you. You said you were a very visual person so I made a request on your behalf,hopefully your wish will be granted.lol ALOHA.

• barbaraz
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow! That would be way cool! Thanks, craftymeca!

• Valerie Noronha
    15 years ago

I would suggest that you have a 3-D design done of your kitchen first. Photoshop is more for artistic/decor related decisions, but first I think you need to work on the kitchen design to see what in fact can be done with your space. You can work with either a kitchen designer who will put together a 20/20 rendering for you based on stock sized cabinets (which typically come in 3" increments), but what I'd really suggest you do, if you have not already, is to also post your questions over on the kitchen forum of Gardenweb. There are people there who can help you with your layout. There is also an appliance forum if you are considering updating the appliances as well. Since you space is on the small side, it's important to get an efficient design. Once you have a workable layout, then you can start thinking about cabinet styles and granite, etc.

Offhand, I'd suggest relocating the Rf to the right on the Washer/dryer closet and depending on space, either:

A. keep a galley kitchen which really is the most efficient layout in a small space.

B. do a U-shaped kitchen, by removing the partial wall where the Rf is now to open it up and enlarge the kitchen to where the table/chairs are now. Put the range in the center of the U and the sink and dishwasher face out into the living room with a curved bar (possibly raised if you want to hide view into sink/kitchen) along the opposite side. This will also give you a view out the sliding doors when you are at the sink which will be must more pleasant that staring at a wall as well as have the cook be part of the party instead of relagated to the kitchen, yet still maintain a separate of the LR and kitchen via the lower cabinets and bar. With this option, you probably would no longer have space for a table, but as you meaning you do a lot of dining on the lanai, having bar seating may be OK.

Either of these two options would be better than an L-shape which does not provide any barrier between kitchen and LR. An island is nice if you have a larger space but you require 42" clearance all around and would not be an efficient use of space.

You said you would be working on this long distance. Is there anyway to get accurate measurements of your space? Anytime you are doing a kitchen remodel which also involves moving plumbing/electrical is it very important to get a contractor whom you can trust that can do all the measurements for you as well as advise you on locations for these things.

Below is a link to a thread on the kitchen forum with lots of useful information.

Here is a link that might be useful: Read Me First thread on kitchen forum

• barbaraz
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I do have an L shaped kitchen design and it is very much like the white remodeled kitchen that I posted pictures of in my first post. I also have a design which incorporates a peninsula with eating space but I was afraid it might seem too crowded. Maybe I should post both of these to see what others think.

Valinsv, you came up with some great ideas. However, the plumbing is located on the wall with the current dishwasher, sink, & washer/dryer. I am on a tight budget so I don't think I can move the plumbing across the way. In addition, the condo association has very strict rules about moving pipes and plumbing and I don't think it would be permitted. I can add a peninsula but the sink and dishwasher would need to stay somewhere along the wall up to the corner that it is presently located on. My building is concrete so adding channel grooves in the concrete floor to install pipes or wires is not permitted. So unfortunately, I have to work within the boundaries that are set before me.

• whenicit
    15 years ago

I would be happy to stay in your condo as is :-) I'll be staying at the Hyatt in December so I'll get to see the little penguins there.

I too like what you have. But, if you want new cabinets I would consider the suggestions of others and maybe add maple to the list to consider...not as stark as white but still light & tropical.

If you stick with your table I don't think I'd use the peninsula design - I agree with your thought that it'd be too crowded.

• barbaraz
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Alex9179, the granite link is absolutely beautiful! I finally had a chance to check it out. So many granites I've never even heard of. I will definitely contact them. Thank you very much! Which ones can you visualize in my kitchen??? I really had an attraction toward the greens.

Whenicit, white cabinets or a stained maple are what I am trying to decide between. If I were to go with the maple, what color stain? Would a lighter finish on the cabinets look good with what I've already got going? And if I go darker, will it make the small kitchen seem too dark?

If I went with the peninsula design I also have, the peninsula would have stools around it and serve as the eating area. I would not keep the dining table and chairs. This floorplan does not give as open a feeling as the L shaped design I have, I don't think. Would you prefer that? I don't know anything about design basics to say which is the better utilization of the space. How do people feel about eating their meals at a peninsula counter?

• alex9179
    15 years ago

I think a nutmeg stain would be great. Not super dark, but still has the island feel. I agree about the green granites! The two exotics (meaning expensive) I was drawn to were Costa Esmerelda and Golden Green. The others I liked were Costa Verde, Green San Francisco, and Double Peacock Green (such depth!).

I'm sure you could find Wild West, but I have a feeling it's pricey. I'm really partial to the flowing movement type of granite.

• bodiCA
    15 years ago

If you move the refrigerator, would it be freestanding or built in? I do see how that could open the wall where it was and give you more floor space. As is, two cooks must dance very close.

• barbaraz
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The refrigerator would be free standing but I would put a panel on the side of it to match the cabinetry so you don't see the side of the fridge from the living room. I would also build cabinets above the fridge for extra storeage. At least this is what I'm thinking.

I'm going to try to figure out how to post two different kitchen layouts that I have, one where the kitchen is in an L shape and one with a peninsula. Please check back so you can give me your input as to the best use of the space.
    Mahalo!

• lynne_melb
    15 years ago

I vote for maple cabinets, one shade darker than natural. Be careful when picking a granite to make sure that it is forgiving of dust from the sand. While we don't live in Hawaii, we live in Florida which also has sand. I also like a somewhat tropical look. We have uba tuba granite in the kitchen, which is not as forgiving as the Crema Bordeaux we have in the master bath. By the way, the Crema Bordeaux is with our light maple cabinets, and it is striking. The reddish strands in the Crema Bordeaux would echo the color of the wood in your living area. Of course, a lot will depend on what granites are available. Good luck.

• barbaraz
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I have 2 designs I am going to post--#1 is an L shaped kitchen, #2 is with a peninsula.

There are pros and cons to each--#1 is more open and creates the "great room" with the kichen and living room essentially being one big room (see my first post for photos of the current space). With this design I would have a table and chairs for eating, which is very comfortable and conducive to talking because you can see each other. Messy kitchen can be very obvious to those in living room.

#2 Helps define the kitchen and living room as two separate spaces. Peninsula offers more prep space and a bit more storeage. Has the peninsula for eating and this would be in lieu of a dining table and chairs. There just isn't enough space for both, however I do have a big round table on my large lanai (patio) and since this is Maui, most times you can eat outside. Peninsulas are not as comfortable to many people for sitting at in comparison to a table/chairs. Conversations are more challenging since people typically sit in a row and can't see each other. Not so good for a more formal dinner. Stools can be upholstered with seats that match the sofa or chair, add some green granite to the counter and can tie the two spaces together.

What are your thoughts regarding the two designs and which would you prefer?

• barbaraz
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I should add that the refrigerator will go in the spot where the utility cart is in the corner--you'll need to see the first photo in my very first post to see where that is. It's also in the same place that the remodeled white kitchen has it that's also in my first post.

Thanks for looking!

• barbaraz
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I like the way the upper cabinets look in Design #1 and would likely keep that even if I did Design #2--just add the peninsula to it.

• craftymeca
    15 years ago

I just wanted to put my 2 cents in about the counter.I would not want to have only a breakfast bar. This is fine if you are only grabbing a bowl of cereal or a sandwich. But for a sit down meal I want a proper chair with a back. Sorry, but having rented a similar set up, I would feel the need to get up immediately after eating on a stool, as opposed to relaxing in a chair. If space were not at a premium then you would not have this delima.I think you might have to consider this, especially if you are also thinking of how renters prefer to eat their meals .Just a thought.

• donnawb
    15 years ago

I would do maple with nutmeg or even without a stain. Don't really see white in your condo with a tropical fee. Maybe a white with a glaze.

• barbaraz
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I wondered if having just the peninsula to eat on inside the condo, even though I have a large table and chairs set on the lanai, would be a deterrent for people to rent from me, even though having the peninsula might be a better use of space. How do the rest of you feel about that??

• craftymeca
    15 years ago

Barbara, You have to remember the times of the year that people are most likely to want to rent from you.After the Christmas holidays, people with the time are looking at Jan, Feb and March for a winter get-away. January and beginning of February bring the Kona winds and it can be rainy, so you cant expect people to eat outside in those months.We used to rent there in Feb and March and usually had lunch outside or a predinner drink on the lanai, but supper was inside.By March the trades are blowing in much warmer air.If you are planning to rent you have to think differently than if it was only going to be used by your family. You will be charging people rent so they will have some expectations ,and a table to eat at inside I think is not unreasonable.As well have you thought about the table being used for other purposes,like cards or games. Only kids like to be on their hand and knees on the carpet for these types of activities.Just throwing these things out because I have been a renter in paradise. lol.

• barbaraz
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for your input, Craftymeca. You certainly make a good point. I'm glad I posed the question so that I could get an idea as to how others felt about eating at a table vs a peninsula.

• flora126
    15 years ago

Barbaraz, here is a picture of natural maple cabinets. Although there is no furniture in the picture, the wood flooring is quite dark and you can get an idea how dark furniture would look.

• barbaraz
    Original Author
    15 years ago

flora126, I could not get your photo to pull up. Can you please try to post it again? Mahalo!

• spitfire_01
    15 years ago

Barbaraz,

I vote to lose the peninsula.

First, we have a peninsula at home and it greatly limits the traffic flow. I'd love to get rid of it but it would necessitate an entire kitchen remodel. No go.

At home we need the peninsula for the counterspace. We regularly rent condos on vacations. While I WANT a kitchen (and laundry facilities) in my condo, I do not mind small kitchen. I go on vacation to spend time with my family, not to cook elaborate meals. I would rather have the open space for interaction between the kitchen and living room as well as the round table for family meals.

I would not retain the peninsula just to block the view of a possibly messy kitchen. Most of your renters are going to fall into 2 categories. People like DH and myself who straighten as they go and leave no sizeable mess. Or people like my in-laws who strew their dirty coffee cups, empty coke cans, and wrappers around the entire unit and never both to pick anything up until the very last day (unless their gracious DIL cleans it for them).

Nin

• barbaraz
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I really appreiated your post, Spitfire, its hard to know what people like to do when they're on vacation vs when they are at home. Sometimes the two can be very different. I do not have a peninsula or an island in my kitchen on the mainland even though my kitchen is quite large, but I do have an eat in kitchen with a good size table and chairs for our family to eat at. We are used to eating at a table. I do know how it would be to eat at a peninsula some of the time. We use the table on the lanai so much when we're at the condo, especially when we entertain, so its hard for me to pick.

• bodiCA
    15 years ago

I still love it as is. With the referigerator moved left you have a little more work space but no help on the dance floor. If you tear everything out, will you plan to re-tile/carpet? Do you know if the refrigerator and stove/cabinet are sitting on matching tile or sub-floor? If you redo, I think I agree with Nin, skip the peninsula, and keep the table/chairs to move around, add leaf to enlarge, just more options for different uses. Casters on the chairs make moves easier and kinder for carpet.
    Wish I was there right now!

• CaroleOH
    15 years ago

I agree with everyone else that you need a table and chairs somewhere in the unit. It's too bad you can't fit both.

Since the kitchen is pretty small, your cabinets aren't going to cost a ton, so I'd do cherry in a natural finish or maple in a medium tone. I'm not a huge fan of light or natural maple. Reminds me of baby furniture! I also think darker cabinets would go well with the rattan color of your furniture. Keep the walls the pretty yellow, and I'd do a lighter tile like you planned. My only comment regarding the tile if you go light is to do something with a pattern or slight swirl etc. I had white tile in one kitchen and beige tile in another and every little hair, crumb etc. shows on these tiles. Maybe pick a tile that looks like travertine - light but with some texture or slight color variation so it hides some of the dirt!

I also like the idea of a green granite. I'd do Verde Butterfly or Peacock Green. Uba Tuba is so dark it looks almost black and shows alot of smudges. The Wild Wild West and some of the other more "out there" granites are pretty, but you don't have alot of counterspace to show them off so why pay that premium price? My other thought is they are very contemporary looking granites and your decor is more tropical, so again I would do a more basic granite and let the granite be the classic backgrop.

• User
    15 years ago

Here are some photos of tropical kitchens that may give you some ideas:

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=tropical+kitchen&btnG=Search+Images&gbv=2

• barbaraz
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I am planning to pick up the carpet in the living room and put new 20" X 20" tile throughout, with the exception of the bedroom where I will still keep carpeting. I plan to tile with the same tile and do the lanai as well, to extend my living space out there.

I have no idea what is under the current cabinetry but I guess I'll soon find out! I suspect that once I start tearing stuff out, I'll be committed to replacing the flooring since it's doubtful there is tile under the cabinets.

The tile I have in mind is a creamy tan and reminds me of marble with its swirls here and there of creamy white, so it does have color variations in it. It's neutral but with a subtle pattern to it instead of being just a total solid color--that would be very difficult to keep clean looking.

Unfortunately, the galley space in the kitchen is so narrow. Even though some vacationers may not cook much, the fact is that I also use the condo and hope to retire there, so I am trying to find that balance that would make my vacationers happy and still be an efficient working kitchen for me. We do enjoy eating our meals on the lanai at the big table there and we are able to do this pretty much year round--even in the winter months. Yes, we do get rain and on those days we want to eat inside. I don't know how I would feel about eating at a peninsula since I don't currently have one. I probably wouldn't think that much about it since there is a table outside on the lanai.

I will admit that there is something very appealing about that extra prep and storeage space that a peninsula could provide, just as there is something appealing about the open and uncrowded feel of the L shape kitchen in Design #1.

• CaroleOH
    15 years ago

OK, one last thought. Your layout doesn't show the actual measurements, and you really need to show the layout in the entire area so you have a good feel for how the new layout and your furniture placement is going to work. But, when I look at the two layouts, the second one seems to take up the same amount of wall space on the stove wall as the first, with the exception of the seating area around the peninsula.

Have you thought about doing the peninsula but without the seating area? You can even look into base cabinets that aren't the full depth, or you can customize those cabinets to be whatever depth works in your room. You'd get your cabinet storage and countertop prep which would be great, but you could still have a table and chairs in front of it in the great room.

• flora126
    15 years ago

Barbaraz, here's another attempt at posting the maple cabinet picture....

• barbaraz
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Flora126, your kitchen looks lovely! Thanks for posting it! Where are your cabinets from? It's interesting to me that sometimes maple cabinets in a natural stain seem to have more color to them than others. Yours are beautiful, Flora, but I've also seen natural maple cabinets that look almost white. Why is that?

Are your cabinets really new? I've heard that the maple, which is what I am also planning, can turn a bit yellow--have you noticed anything like that with your cabinets?

What do you have on your coutertops?

• IdaClaire
    15 years ago

I understand that a "pole workout" could be strenuous and therefore good exercise, but really - when did emulating a stripper become tasteful? Hey, I'll add my "I'm no prude" comment to the others -- I've been to a strip club or two in the past, and personally felt very uncomfortable while there. Say what you will, but I've always felt the entire atmosphere to be degrading and skeevy, no matter how "upscale" the place purported itself to be. And sure, what two consenting adults choose to do in the privacy of their own home is anything but my concern, but I keep coming back to the question: Why would a woman want to emulate a stripper?

Just my $.02.

• IdaClaire
    15 years ago

Oh my ... Wrong thread! I'm so sorry!

**banging head on computer monitor**

• flora126
    15 years ago

The natural maple cabinets are three years old (in a smoke free environment). Haven't seen any yellowing at this point. The counters are Starion (similar to Corian). Not sure why some maple cabinets look white. Our cabinetmaker provided the sample and we approved. BTW, we built this house from a distance of 600 miles. Decisions were made by email and we visited the construction site only once. Good luck with the remodel.

• gracie-2006
    15 years ago

Hi Barbara,
    I did not read through all the postings, what choice, if any, have you made for granite? LOL!! Gracie