SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
susiemw

advice for small lake cottage bathroom redo and front door

susiemw
12 years ago

Hi all,

I've posted part of this in the bathroom forum as well but since it fits in the small house forum (900 sq feet downstairs plus 200 for the dormer)

Before:

after new siding:

rear view:

rear view with new siding:

I don't have a "before" shot of the original patio but here it is after being screened in. I've posted pics in the porch forum to discuss problems with water flowing into the porch from the sidewalk. the porch sits lower than the sidewalk and gardens in the backyard.

You can see in this photo how there is nothing to stop rain water from flowing straight down the sidewalk and into the porch.

This cottage has a small hideous bathroom that needs to be totally redone. This is the only bathroom in the house.

The previous owner had a tub with a handheld shower attachment but not a true shower.

Beautiful blue tub with pink tiles that are falling off:

storage space adjacent to tub... is as deep as the tub so it's impossible to reach things in the back of these shelves:

space under the sink & counter is totally wasted. it's very shallow and right now only is space for the plumbing. I'd like to

somehow take advantage of this space. since there is very little storage in this house I need to make the most of all the space I have.

Under the counter that is behind the tub in this photo is the area that houses the well pump. so the piece of counter

has to be removable to get to the pump. That is also why the "doors" that were in front of the plumbing is also removable.

the open space in the "wall" above the bathtub faucet is problematic.... it needs to be walled in somehow so I can have a shower but we also need to retain access to the well pump.

the toilet doesn't sit flush with the floor but sits higher by an inch or so and I have no idea why there are no tiles around the toilet base:

along the wall that isn't shown above are two small pipes coming up out of the floor that I'm assuming are for hot and cold water. Above that sits a small mirrored medicine cabinet. So as small as this bathroom is, it would be possible to put in a narrow second sink. It's not necessary for now but might be nice to have in the future.

This is what makes the bathroom worth redoing:

I have had the roof replaced so the leaks should be done with. Most of the windows have been replaced and the original ones that remain are in good shape.

Darn, forgot to take a picture of the storage cabinet that is above the tub/shower and runs the entire length of that wall. The ceilings are very low so having these cabinets over the tub makes it very claustrophobic and anyone over 5'7" wouldn't be able to stand in the shower.

First things first, these cabinets have to be removed.

I can't afford to gut everything and put in the bathroom I"d like because other parts of the house (particularly the kitchen) also needs major work.

any suggestions for me?

how to wall in that open area that is above the back of the tub?

tile or shower surround?

I'm thinking beadboard for the walls in the bathroom.

how about front door color suggestions? I'm thinking something vibrant.. I bought some flowers today that were a pretty rosey pink color...

Since the screen door obscures the majority of the front door I'm thinking they should be painted the same color.

Thanks in advance & thanks for looking.

Susan

Comments (9)