SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_63513

Storage Bed

User
13 years ago

About a month ago, I finally decided to get a platform bed that was also a storage bed. Queen size, a notch up from the full size bed which was painfully small for both of us.

And the one I chose?

Room and Board's HUDSON PLATFORM STORAGE BED. I chose the natural cherry wood, not the maple or the walnut. I really loved the walnut, and agonized over it the longest time. But eventually I opted for the warm honey tones of the natural cherry. I like chocolate or expresso sheets, and the cherry gave more definition to the shape of the bed.

The Room and Board truck arrived Saturday morning 7am sharp, and began unpacking and assembling the bed in my room. What a thrill knowing they were taking special care of my new piece of furniture.

Since it is a platform bed and no foundation/box spring, a total WASTE of space and money IMHO, I wondered about the eventual height of the sleeping surface from the floor.

Let it be known that it is not too high and not too low, it is JUST RIGHT, and our dear little dachshund girl can jump up on it quite readily.

The mattress is a reversible natural latex, soft on one side and firm on the other. To make sure we had a little extra thickness, I also ordered the 50-50% feather/down mattress topper. One night on it does not give good enough testing, but first impression is that it is a winner.

The bed has four drawers which now hold out of season blankets (won't need those until December), extra queen sheet set, beach towels and bath sheets and bath mats--at least until the bathroom linen closet is built! And my boots and big purses. Two of the drawers are only half full so far.

The queen size fit nicely in the same spot as the full bed. Nothing else in the room was moved even by an inch.

A few details about the bed. It was built by Gat Creek Furniture in West Virginia for R&B. I wrote the company and asked for information about the bed, and the owner wrote back, with pictures of the folks who make the beds. Mine was made by Steve Fischer on October 13, 2009. He did a fine job. His name is burned into the wood on the bottom back side of the headboard. Also the date, and the # of manufacture, which was #679 I think. (I'll have to look again to be sure.) I will treat this bed kindly, and one day pass it on to one of my granddaughters.

Here is a picture of it, and the truck which brought it to Alabama.

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County