SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
serenity_now_2007

Want to Do the Right Thing

serenity_now_2007
16 years ago

Hi all... Need some advice on what to do about the latest in the ongoing saga between my Dad, his new wife (as of October 2007) and I. If anyone needs me to fill in any details, I will do so if you ask, but to save time/space I'll go ahead & assume everyone knows the background.

So I am finally getting to go visit him in about 2 weeks (he bought me a ticket, but told me to put it on my credit card and he sent me a check afterwards... presumably didn't want SM seeing on the credit card bill that he paid for it). He called and left me a message yesterday that she is bent out of shape over the fact that I never called her directly to officially congratulate her on her marriage to my dad.

This is after after she avoided numerous requests from my family and I for important info about his health/cancer; after I found out in October that she & my dad got married via my voice mail after the fact; after my being excluded from this past X-mas; after I sent nice X-mas cards and gifts to everyone up there, specifically with "now we're *officially* family" messages; and months after I finally got my hard-won degree as well as a major honor/opportunity in my university with no "congratulations" from her for either.

My dilemma is this: I absolutely DO NOT want to be any part of ANYTHING to upset my Dad, nor add undue stress to his life at this time nor disrupt his health in any way. Soley for his sake, I absolutely REFUSE to be dragged into any of the conflict she keeps attempting to bring up, and I see no reason why *I* can't "suck it up" for one week out of my life for the sake of my dad having a happy harmonious time with his wife AND daughter. If I have to bite a hole through my tongue that gets stitched up later, if I have to go to the local shooting range while I am up there and take out my frustrations that way, I will do it for the sake of harmony. But here's the problem: I am a BAD actress, and I'm afraid that even if I go through the perfunctory apology to get her off my a**, she and/or he will be able to tell that I'm less-than-100% happy to be doing so b/c I'm afraid I will have an expression on my face that makes me look like I'm eating glass. I want to go ahead and get this out of the way, preferably *before* I get there, but I'm not sure how to do it that will be convincing enough to where it never gets brought up again... Because if I have to do it more than once I don't think I can.

So what do you all think: send card in advance? with what sorts of words? send gift? card to just her? how do I explain the delay? etc. etc. etc...... I appreciate any & all suggestions!

Comments (25)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor